Wheels & Tires Grabbing the road and stopping.

Have a Question/s About Wheels/Tires/Offsets/Camber/Etc? Ask here::

Old 06-17-2009, 08:30 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
The widest will depend on a few things so that it does not come in contact with the strut on the inner most of the car. I will be going to a 12" rear very soon.

It sounds like he is trying to sell you on some wheels, you have a non brembo setup correct? You can get away with a killer setup, very aggressive offsets and huge lips.

Is there a specific wheel you are looking at?

Old 06-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
The widest will depend on a few things so that it does not come in contact with the strut on the inner most of the car. I will be going to a 12" rear very soon.

It sounds like he is trying to sell you on some wheels, you have a non brembo setup correct? You can get away with a killer setup, very aggressive offsets and huge lips.

Is there a specific wheel you are looking at?
cool yea i figuerd he just wanted to sell me the most expensive ones he thought i would buy, this is the rim im looking for or if any one else can suggest any other five spoke rim with a big lip this is a tsw jarama
Name:  jarama_hswml.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  65.7 KB

Old 06-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
5 spoke wheels I would recommend

meisters

me cx

there are others that look like the wheels above such as axis but i dont like axis wheels

the ones i showed you are top notch that come with a nice price

Old 06-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by ShanesG
I'll answer some of these questions tomrrow!
hi shane
hopefully you can answer my qns on offsets.
i am a noobie and its hard to figure what would work.
=)
thanks looking forward to your helpfulness

Old 06-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
^I answered them, look on the previous page, at my post, i quoted yours and the answers are in Red!

Old 06-18-2009, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by ShanesG
^I answered them, look on the previous page, at my post, i quoted yours and the answers are in Red!

Originally Posted by eurodre
alright ill try out this one
the LOWER the number the MORE it sticks out,

thanks GreenGoblin, eurodre, ShanesG
(somehow i didnt refresh and didnt see the responses)

Ok I get it now
Lower the offset number, the more it sticks out.

GreenGoblin says that "+25 or more on a coupe will be some sunken battleship offsets".
i didnt think the stock 19s were that badly sunken in.
its in for sure but oh well, everyone have their tastes =)

this thread is super helpful.
at least i dont get thrown under the bus for asking questions.=)

the comparison photos are excellent!!

For the G35C, what is the distance from the hub mounting surface (since offsets are measured from this surface) to the edge of the fender for the rear and front?

let see ...
stock 19 rear is
8.5inches width +33mm offset ,
that is 215.9mm width +33mm offset
and there is a need for 25mm spacer for flushness

so
(218.9/2)-33+25 = 101.45mm (distance from hub mounting surface to flush fender) ?
correct?

Last edited by haagen_dazs; 06-18-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:55 AM
more questions....

1) if i understand correctly, spaces are like metal plates that add distance to the hub mounting surface. spacers are only a always creates an offset that is positive since you can only put spacers on the hub facing the outside of the wheel. am i right?

2) am i right to say that the spacers are placed on the wheel bolt?
what is the maximum spacer can one put on the bolt?
how long is the bolt? (i am sure there is a limit to how thick the spacers can be before there isnt any thread for the nut to safely hang onto the bolt.

3)
what is the maximum width of wheel can the rear and front wheel well of the G35C accommodate with no scrapping of tires. This is in reference to stock suspension with no drop.

Is 10inch rear and 8 inch front safe?

Old 06-18-2009, 01:05 AM
1. its not only positive offsets you can get a negative effective (offset with spacer)

for example if its an offset of +20 and you put a 25mm spacer the new offset is -5

2. you can put a pretty big spacer on but the point is that you learn your offsets so need for a spacer unless you bought used and want to be flush

3. the front you can put a 10 and the rear a 12... that's what has been done so far and i wouldn't recommend more

and with regard to the scraping of the tire, you add in camber and rolled(pulled fenders), if done right at normal driving condition you should not rub but when entering a driveway and the fronts are compressed you might rub

one last thing, i would HIGHLY suggest lowering your car via springs or coilovers and THEN getting wheels because if you get wheels now and its flush now, but later when you decide to lower the car (a car with aftermarket wheels and no drop looks really tacky imo) the wheels will tuck in and basically you wasted your time

Old 06-18-2009, 01:05 AM
yet another question (which i have searched but cannot find satisfactory answers for)

this is a tire width question.

take for example, a 225/40/19 is safe and recommended on a 19x8 and 245/40/19 is recommended on 19x8.5

So 225 works for 8inch but people can push it to 235or245/35/19 for 8inch
like wise, 245 works for 8.5inch but i have seen 265or275/35/19 on them.

could we generate a table for what is recommended (and acceptable ranges) for
11(?)
12(?)
wide wheels?

Old 06-18-2009, 01:09 AM
1. its not only positive offsets you can get a negative effective (offset with spacer)

for example if its an offset of +20 and you put a 25mm spacer the new offset is -5

2. you can put a pretty big spacer on but the point is that you learn your offsets so need for a spacer unless you bought used and want to be flush

3. the front you can put a 10 and the rear a 12... that's what has been done so far and i wouldn't recommend more

and with regard to the scraping of the tire, you add in camber and rolled(pulled fenders), if done right at normal driving condition you should not rub but when entering a driveway and the fronts are compressed you might rub
thanks eurodre
1) i didnt know one could put spacers on the inner side of the mounting hub
interesting

2) i guess its best to buy right the first round than fiddle with spacers

3) let say i do not really wish to mess with the stock setup and leave the camber as it, can the car accommodate 8F and up to 10R?

Do the extremes of 10F and 12R require adjusted camber to get those wheels to not scrap? (curious though i wont be doing this)

Old 06-18-2009, 01:14 AM
one last thing, i would HIGHLY suggest lowering your car via springs or coilovers and THEN getting wheels because if you get wheels now and its flush now, but later when you decide to lower the car (a car with aftermarket wheels and no drop looks really tacky imo) the wheels will tuck in and basically you wasted your time
the problem is, even with stock suspension, i am finding it hard to get to some parking lots in this pothole ridden, tidal wave undulating roads of Boston.
If i were to only drop 1inch, i am not sure if its worth the effort. (and pain of hearing scrapping sounds)

Old 06-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by haagen_dazs
thanks eurodre
1) i didnt know one could put spacers on the inner side of the mounting hub
interesting

2) i guess its best to buy right the first round than fiddle with spacers

3) let say i do not really wish to mess with the stock setup and leave the camber as it, can the car accommodate 8F and up to 10R?

Do the extremes of 10F and 12R require adjusted camber to get those wheels to not scrap? (curious though i wont be doing this)
at stock height you will never be in danger of rubbing with those sizes, it also depends on what tire sizes you want, but i guarantee you it will look pretty ugly with aftermarket wheels and stock height

as for the comment about the spacers, what do you mean on the inner side of the mounting hub? there is only one place/way to put spacers just take off the wheel put the spacer on tighten it up and put the wheel back on

Originally Posted by haagen_dazs
the problem is, even with stock suspension, i am finding it hard to get to some parking lots in this pothole ridden, tidal wave undulating roads of Boston.
If i were to only drop 1inch, i am not sure if its worth the effort. (and pain of hearing scrapping sounds)
well you can get springs the drop is pretty decent but generally everywere you go there are bad roads etc, its one of those not everyone is made for it, but don't get me wrong im not trying to force you to lower your car, just letting you know what it would look like on stock height

Old 06-18-2009, 01:20 AM
i know this is a wheels only thread but if ppl can help me with post #54, that would be great. (its a tire question)
TIA

Old 06-18-2009, 01:33 AM
The following users liked this post:
dj714 (10-08-2012)
Old 06-18-2009, 06:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GreenGoblin
Yes that will fit, there are some black ones for sale with the same offset pm freddie07 his also clear Brembo's. I believe that he R front disk and O rear.

You will need to roll your rears, but you will not be slammed so not to much to worry about.
hey thank man. appreciate your help/input. it puts me more at ease now... thanks.. but what abot +15 for the front and rear?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: Have a Question/s About Wheels/Tires/Offsets/Camber/Etc? Ask here::