DIY: Applying Vinyl Roof Overlay (with Fin and Sunroof)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
DIY: Applying Vinyl Roof Overlay (with Fin and Sunroof)

Heads up! Just posted this, with photos, on the site
http://gshack.org/?p=298

Tools:

* Xacto knife or blade
* Spray bottle with 70-30 solution of water/dishashing soap (some prefer mixing alcohol into this mix, but i find this solution to work just fine)
* Clay bar
* Painter’s tape
* Silicone or felt-tipped squeegee (a credit card will also work, but please cover it with a microfiber cloth, the plastic will scratch the vinyl).
* Hair dryer (or heat gun if you know what you’re doing)
* Extra hands (optional)

Steps:
  1. Thoroughly wash and clean the entire roof of the car.
  2. For further cleaning, run a clay bar through it at least once and wash again.
    Tip: Keep the sunroof closed until step 9.
  3. Position BlueBatmobile’s roof overlay to get a feel for where things should be. The overlay came with the sunroof portion already cut-out.
    The vendor was also kind enough to mark where the shark-fin antenna will likely fall into. I suggest cutting out the hole before proceeding, this will help “anchor” the overlay to the roof as well as make laying it down easier. For better results, trim to about 1/2″ away (inside) from the marked area (i.e. you should have at least 1/2″ of excess material covering the fin, to allow for final adjustments).
  4. From the sunroof area towards the rear of the vehicle, apply painters tape to attach the aft section to the car. Taping comes especially handy if you’re going at this solo.
  5. Fold back the front area and slowly peel away the backing sheet. Spritz some solution to the peeled vinyl to keep it from sticking to itself. Spritz the roof as well. Tear the excess backing sheet from the part you just folded.
  6. Position the newly spritzed vinyl back onto the roof and squeegee away the bubbles and excess fluid. It’s okay to have excess vinyl at the edges – we will trim these out after all is said and done.
    Tip: Feel free to stretch, heat, peel back and re-apply sections of the vinyl to rid itself of folds and wrinkles, or that stubborn bubble.
  7. With the front in place, tape just to the edge of it, as shown in the photo. Remove the tape from everywhere else and fold back the vinyl. As with step 5, peel back the backing sheet and spritz solution to the vinyl and to the roof.
  8. Lay the vinyl towards the rear and squeegee away.
    Tip: I found it easiest to squeegee from the center moving towards the sides then corners. The closer you get to the corners, the more chances of wrinkles but stretching or heating the vinyl a little at a time until you’ve “pulled” the vinyl beyond the edge works fairly well.
  9. Open the sunroof and tape the deflector down to keep it tucked away for now. Make small relief cuts just before and after the sections that curve (i.e. corners). This will help you with folding down the vinyl neatly. Run the squeegee towards the direction of the sunroof to remove any remaining bubbles.
  10. It doesn’t take much to keep them down, so feel free to trim any excess. I trimmed roughly 1/2″ all around.
  11. We’re almost there! Now to trim the excess around the outside edgegs of the vehicle. Before doing so, check everything and make sure there is no other bubble or wrinkle elsewhere. Run the squeegee and make adjustments as necessary, moving towards the outer perimeter of the vehicle.
    Tip: Go slowly on the trimming. There are “channels” on the side rails and before the roof meets the front/rear glass, i found these to be the perfect place to do the trimming without hitting metal or rubber trim.
  12. Let the vinyl dry for a couple of hours then wash away all the mess. Very tiny bubbles will dry out after a couple of days, larger bubbles can be popped with a needle (i used the Xacto tip).

The following users liked this post:
SuperCleanG (09-12-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Nice DIY.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Official Sponsor of the Florida G35 Club
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Mike, awesome write up! You mind if I use it for reference? U need some nice installed pics in the light !

B@t

Old 09-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Mike, did you leave the sharkfin body color?

Old 09-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Lcolin25
Nice DIY.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Blue_Batmobile
Mike, awesome write up! You mind if I use it for reference? U need some nice installed pics in the light !
B@t
Be my guest

Originally Posted by E-Ticket Ride
Mike, did you leave the sharkfin body color?
Yep, but if one were to want to wrap it, the excess cut-off should belarge enough to cover the fin with a little stretch. I like it sticking out body-color

Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
nice DIY as usual mike!

Awaiting VQs comments in 3..2...1...lol

Old 09-12-2011, 04:10 PM
more pics!!!

B@t

Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
Vinyl is the one thing I cant seem to master.. nice work!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:03 PM
more pics!!!

B@t

Old 09-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
this might help as well

http://youtu.be/HVKxbXINPdo

Old 09-26-2011, 04:24 PM