Compression rod / Lower control arm ... little confused HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compression rod / Lower control arm ... little confused HELP

Okay so i have my SPC fronts and rears on and was going for an alignment today and was brought out to see a pic like this one.
Name:  P6200149.jpg
Views: 3553
Size:  52.3 KB
Taken from another post on this forum, who in the end bought a new piece all together and replaced the whole arm.
I was on the search for a urethane set of bushings for this piece since it seems to be so common and figured that might be a helpful upgrade. But i cant find one. Searching this site many people are quoting the part numbers of
BUSH – COMPR ROD (2WD) 54570-AC70A
BUSH – COMPR ROD (AWD) 54570-AC71A
To be the replacement that i would need. But then i also find people quoting this same part number as the replacement for the compression rod bushing which i thought after reading yet another post that this was the compression rod.

Where i assume the new part installed is the shiny new black piece.

So with this said... which bushing/part does this part number belong to? The first or the second picture? I call the first a lower control arm and the second a compression rod.

What im looking for is the bushing that goes to the very first picture in this post... here

And last but not least does anybody know of a better alternative to the OEM piece. I know Nismo makes this kit click for link. And im use to Energy Suspension bushings from my past acuras. So im sure somebody had to have an alternative right?

God i hope that all made senseDOMO

Old 10-16-2008, 11:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought a new arm for #9, the lower control arm. My bushing failed like yours. I probably could have had it replaced under warranty though. It was about $160 from www.everythingg35.com.

#14 isthe compression rod.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:54 AM
Originally Posted by Gilley
I bought a new arm for #9, the lower control arm. My bushing failed like yours. I probably could have had it replaced under warranty though. It was about $160 from www.everythingg35.com.

#14 isthe compression rod.
Id like to buy upgraded urethane bushings similar to those of energy suspension. Do you know if this is an option? i have researvhed with no luck.

Also the part numbers i have above are those the OEM bushings for the LCA if thats a last resort?

Old 10-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Both of those pics are compression rods, and they are part #14 on the diagram. The aluminum one is for the RWD car, and the black iron one is for the AWD sedan. You can also buy just the bushings, which are a new and improved part designed to replace the original defective design, but you will need a special press tool to install them in the rod. See TSB ITB08-013 for all the details.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Noremac
Both of those pics are compression rods, and they are part #14 on the diagram. The aluminum one is for the RWD car, and the black iron one is for the AWD sedan. You can also buy just the bushings, which are a new and improved part designed to replace the original defective design, but you will need a special press tool to install them in the rod. See TSB ITB08-013 for all the details.
Im sorry but i think i have to say that your wrong about them being the same part #14. Pic1 is part #9... which in the part detail pic is where i boxed the bushing i will be needing. With that said i assume the TSB you posted is about part #14's bushing right?

See why im so confussed... i need a parts diagram like pic3 that will break down the bushing part numbers too. Somebody help a brotha... i just want my bushings thats ordered to be the right one.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:25 PM
I just spent quite a bit of time on the phone with the parts people are infinitypartsusa.com. The part numbers below are NOT for the lower control arm #9 in my diagram but ONLY for the compression rod #14 in the diagram.

I went to order these and would have been in for a jacked reality when they arrived and i took the car apart and they were the wrong ones.

Has ANYBODY successfully swapped out the bushings in their Lower control arms #9 in the diagram. Or did you all just order the new part and spend hundreds?

Old 10-20-2008, 05:47 PM
The TSB shows that you need a hydraulic press to swap out those bushings. I just bought the whole arm.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:03 AM
The TSB shows that you need a hydraulic press to swap out those bushings. I just bought the whole arm.
I have access to the press for the bushings, im sorry i should have mentioned that as most bushings need to be pressed in this fashion.

I have been speaking with the makers of the Nismo units that i have a link to above to verify that they have the right ones. I personally dont want to replace the arm... not because of money but more because i dont want it to happen again. It just makes no sense to replace it with a unit that will eventually do it again prematurely.

Ill keep posted as i think this is good info for others.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:40 AM
Well if you have access to the press, then that makes a big difference. I would have probably gotten the bushing too.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Well if you have access to the press, then that makes a big difference. I would have probably gotten the bushing too.

FYI countless shops have presses to do this... its a pretty common tool to have in a full service shop. Especially one that works on suspensions.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
We need an Energy poly set for this stuff. Anyone actually try to move your suspension arms around while replacing your shocks/springs? The rubber is really compliant IMHO. At least some of it is.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Confirmed with Performance Nissan that it is the lower transverse link bushing... placed my order today for both sides, figure id do them both while the car needs to be aligned anyway and i dont want to go through this later on. Will keep posted during and after install.
click for the performance nissan link

Part No. Product Price/Item Qty Price
54560-RRZ30
NISMO Hard Rubber Bushing Kit - 350Z/G35: 2003-2006 INFINITI G35
$35.00
$70.00

Subtotal: $70.00
Sales Tax: $0.00
Freight: $9.86

Order Total: $79.86

Old 01-10-2009, 02:52 AM
pretty sure that you are wrong, the compression rod and the transverse link are 2 different things.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Noremac
If the black one is for an AWD sedan I can't see how power is getting to the wheel.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope for everyones sake this gets figured out. I am in the same predicament

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Compression rod / Lower control arm ... little confused HELP