Any one replace their lower ball joints?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:37 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
^^Check out rockauto.com, they might carry them. 4wd and 2wd ball joints are different.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I checked out autozone and they have the identical part number for AWD and RWD....

Old 04-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 168 Likes on 148 Posts
Here is an eBay listing that says it's for an AWD. That looks different then my RWD drive car in that it doesn't have the side holes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231175022717?lpid=82

Old 04-17-2014, 12:31 PM
Its the thickness of the shaft that is the difference...i need the ball joint which attaches to the knuckle.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by mikeygsens
Its the thickness of the shaft that is the difference...i need the ball joint which attaches to the knuckle.
As long as the metal sleeve fits and it's secure, I don't think the thickness will matter. I bought Deeza ball joints from RockAuto and there were some minor differences, but haven't had any issues.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:56 PM
That just might be it...Ill try and find a thicker sleeve...the sleeve im using was used around the thicker shaft (OEM) I hope thats all thats wrong. I have it on clunks are gone but can feel it knocking around. I beleive it is causing my axel to grind against the compression rod.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:22 PM
That just might be it...Ill try and find a thicker sleeve...the sleeve im using was used around the thicker shaft (OEM) I hope thats all thats wrong. I have it on clunks are gone but can feel it knocking around. I beleive it is causing my axel to grind against the compression rod.
I think a few pages back someone posted something about the sleeve and having to use washers or shims.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Is there any other way besides buying the entire knuckle to get a front lower ball joint for 06 G35 AWD? I have already ordered a Vollig part off of ebay and the shaft was thinner in diameter. Should I be using a thicker sleeve?
Ball joint press.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:58 PM
I am seeing 2 different sets of ball joints on EBay. Both made by SPD

one for RWD: $56.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Premium-Fr...66ef73&vxp=mtr

one for AWD: $479.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infiniti-G35...p2054897.l4275

I have read some guidance in the post about differences in shaft thickness and washers for shims for the standard ball joints on an awd. Has anybody been able to confirm the difference(s) between the RWD and AWD parts. I would rather replace the RWD once a year on my g35x than to spend an extra $420 on an aftermarket ball joint or buy the entire knuckle from Infiniti.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Kinetix V+,Z1UpperArms+HFC,FujitaIntake,Nismokit,BCCoils,HKSexh,G37rims,CFtrunk,nWpTB,SPCarms
Originally Posted by jd46
I am seeing 2 different sets of ball joints on EBay. Both made by SPD

one for RWD: $56.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Premium-Fr...66ef73&vxp=mtr

one for AWD: $479.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infiniti-G35...p2054897.l4275

I have read some guidance in the post about differences in shaft thickness and washers for shims for the standard ball joints on an awd. Has anybody been able to confirm the difference(s) between the RWD and AWD parts. I would rather replace the RWD once a year on my g35x than to spend an extra $420 on an aftermarket ball joint or buy the entire knuckle from Infiniti.
this ball joint looks like it's the upper control arm. not the lower

Old 09-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My front lower ball joint is cracked in half now making all kind of noises... I'm about to order ball joints from Concept Z. Are you guys referring to SPD G35 Front Knuckle Lower Control Arm Ball Joints? Is this the one to get? I'm seeing other options from Megan for lowered cars I'm not sure if that's worth it since my car is lowered (but not slammed). RockAuto also sells one from Beck/Arnley that seems okay. What would you recommend? Thanks!

Old 09-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I purchased the ball joints from auto zone but it didn't come with a shim or anything. Is the factory shim on the ball joint removeable to put on the auto zone ball joint?

Old 09-21-2014, 03:34 PM
Are you referring to the metal cone that goes on the top? That is actually the "seat" of the ball joint, and yes it is removable. You can try a pickle fork while its attached but i dont really understand why everyone has been doing that. The ball joint can still be removed with the cone on, then you throw your pickle fork in a vice or hold it on your workbench with the loose ball joint hanging from the seat. Hammer or rubber mallet it out, as long as you hit the head of the bolt on the ball joint it will fall loose before u come close to hitting the seat.

So far i've heard like 100 people asking for a review of the czp ball joints which IMO look like they have the best boot design and are listed as a part that actually increases performance vs OEM. I like that they come with a new seat too. ONE person in this forum responded about the czp bjs and said they are holding up great. They have the best shipping options it seems as if you are in a hurry they claim to ship within 24 hours and have next day delivery available. (i'm impulsive when it comes to getting the parts i want). Right now for me its either between the duralast or the czp. The duralast boot is actually sealed to the BJ which is great. The person i watched could hardly get it off when they were trying, and had to completely rip it off to replace with an energy suspension boot which seems inferior to me. ES dust boots dont seal right at the bottom lip, and the boot itself seems so stiff and rigid i feel it would be MORE prone to bursting from grease pressure when the car takes hard turns. idk thats my opinion.

I heard in my 350z forum that the bj's fit an '05, but there was lathe work needed on the seat if you dont get a correct size with the BJ or from the stealership. They mentioned having the increase the diameter that the BJ bolt passes through. hope that helps.

Has anyone else had experience with the czp knuckle bj's? I am having a lot of trouble deciding between two of those and getting the passenger side which isnt making any noise fixed at the same time as my knocking driver side, or going down to autozone and getting a duralast for 70$ that has a lifetime warranty but doesnt look as pretty (((( BAH im so sick of the knocking sound its embarassing when im trying to show the G off and theres a f@#$ing BJ knocking.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:21 PM
I've been digging through all the Ball Joint replacement threads but I don't see anything specifically for the G35x. I've searched online, Rockauto, eBay. Best I can find are parts that say they work for the G35 RWD and AWD and I'm suspicious of those.

Has any AWD folks replaced their ball joints and what have you used? Or does anyone have a side by side of the AWD and RWD ball joints to show the differences?

Old 11-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi all,

Should I replace the ball joint or just replace the boot? The front control arms are on the driver's side are also bad and I will be replacing them at the same time.

The passenger side is fine. Is okay if the driver's side control arm bushings are polyurethane (whiteline) and the passenger side rubber (stock)?

Are the Volling ball joints from eBay any good?

Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Any one replace their lower ball joints?