Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Changing Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Clutch Question

Has anyone put a automatic motor inside a manual g35? I put a automatic motor inside my manual transmission G. The clutch pilot bushing will not fit into the automatic motor, and someone told that there is a automatic pilot bushing on the automatic motors.
Is there actually a automatic pilot bushing because that thing looks apart of the motor? If yes, how do i get the automatic pilot bushing off? I tried using the bearing puller from auto parts store but nothing happened.
If that thing does not come off, how can i fit the clutch pilot bushing into there? Thanks

Old 11-19-2018, 07:38 PM
I'm in the middle of doing the same thing.

Looking at the back of the motor we just pulled and looking at the shop manual, page EM-137 and EM-138 show a "Pilot Converter AT Model" vs a "Pilot bushing MT Model". My plan was to use a slide-hammer I have to try to pull the converter out. I might also hit the crank around it with some heat and try not to hit the "Converter" so it might be easier to pull.

I don't think you can run the MT until you get the "Pilot Converter" removed.

I attached the two pages from the manual for you. Look for #10 on the pages.

Cheers
RustyNCA

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pages from em.pdf (146.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 11-19-2018, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by RustyNCA
I'm in the middle of doing the same thing.

Looking at the back of the motor we just pulled and looking at the shop manual, page EM-137 and EM-138 show a "Pilot Converter AT Model" vs a "Pilot bushing MT Model". My plan was to use a slide-hammer I have to try to pull the converter out. I might also hit the crank around it with some heat and try not to hit the "Converter" so it might be easier to pull.

I don't think you can run the MT until you get the "Pilot Converter" removed.

I attached the two pages from the manual for you. Look for #10 on the pages.

Cheers
RustyNCA
Thanks, and I have been driving without the MT pilot bushing and the AT pilot converter still attached to my motor since August 2018; however, I have no idea if it is damaging anything such as my transmission. May you post the exact method you performed whenever you get the AT pilot converter off?

Old 11-19-2018, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by nzedwards

Thanks, and I have been driving without the MT pilot bushing and the AT pilot converter still attached to my motor since August 2018; however, I have no idea if it is damaging anything such as my transmission. May you post the exact method you performed whenever you get the AT pilot converter off?
Yes, I'll circle back on it, when I figure it out. Interesting you were able to run it with that part still in there, no vibrations or anything? Seems like the front of the input shaft would move around without the support bushing installed?

Managed to get the motor pulled yesterday, now have a car or parts of a car to deal with. Was a nice low miles car before it got clipped on the drivers side.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:25 PM
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
The engines that have had an AT fitted to them will have an Automatic transmission pilot bushing (this centers the torque converter).
You need to remove this - normally by filling the crankshaft with heavy grease and using a half inch extension or socket (as close to the inner diameter hole size). Hammer this in and the hydraulic pressure should pop out the auto pilot bushing. Google it for more details on this method - I have used this before and it worked.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by BradMD_96
The engines that have had an AT fitted to them will have an Automatic transmission pilot bushing (this centers the torque converter).
You need to remove this - normally by filling the crankshaft with heavy grease and using a half inch extension or socket (as close to the inner diameter hole size). Hammer this in and the hydraulic pressure should pop out the auto pilot bushing. Google it for more details on this method - I have used this before and it worked.
Yeah, I tried the heavy grease trick when I replaced the clutch in our CTS-V, it didn't work at all for me. Went and bought a slide hammer and popped the bearing right out, so once I find where I "safely" put the slide away, I'll give it a try.

I've also seen people say they use bread in the same manner as the grease?

Old 11-20-2018, 08:06 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
There are at least 2 videos on YouTube that the guys used the bread trick and yes, it worked.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
There are at least 2 videos on YouTube that the guys used the bread trick and yes, it worked.
Yeah, but I am pretty sure those videos deal with the MT pilot bushing inside the motor. The bushing on AT are attached on like the edge of the motor, so idk how the bread trick would work in this situation.

Last edited by nzedwards; 11-21-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by RustyNCA
Yes, I'll circle back on it, when I figure it out. Interesting you were able to run it with that part still in there, no vibrations or anything? Seems like the front of the input shaft would move around without the support bushing installed?

Managed to get the motor pulled yesterday, now have a car or parts of a car to deal with. Was a nice low miles car before it got clipped on the drivers side.
Nope, no problems except for alot of chatter w/ a stock clutch and flywheel. I assumed it was my throw out bearing going out, but it could’ve been chattering alot due to not having that bushing inside also