Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G35? Find out the answer in here! (View All Posts)

Easy Ecu Resetting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xXHotelCrazyXx
Ok i found the instructions on how to do it right here

<u>Basic ECU Reset</u>

Operations Procedures:

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” (NOT start) and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 seconds.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone. If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Remember, timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU. You may even need someone's help to do this correctly.

Note: The following reset procedures are directly from the 2004 G35 Sedan Service Manual.

<u>Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning</u>

Description:
Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully released position of the accelerator pedal by monitoring the accelerator pedal position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of accelerator pedal position sensor or ECM is disconnected.

Operation Procedure:
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.

<u>Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning</u>

Description:
Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully closed position of the throttle valve by monitoring the throttle position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of electric throttle control actuator or ECM is disconnected.

Operation Procedure:
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ON.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

<u>Idle Air Volume Learning</u>

Description:
Idle Air Volume Learning is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific range. It must be performed each time electric throttle control actuator or ECM is replaced, or if idle speed or ignition timing is out of specification.

Preparation:
Before performing Idle Air Volume Learning, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied. Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.

- Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)
- Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 100 Degrees C (158 – 212 Degrees F)
- PNP switch: ON (Park/Neutral Position Safety Switch - AT only, MT fully depress clutch)
- Electric load switch: OFF (Air conditioner, rear window defogger, headlamps. Note: on vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, if the parking brake is applied before the engine is started, the headlamps will not be illuminated.)
- Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
- Vehicle speed: Stopped
- Transmission: Warmed-up (For A/T models, drive vehicle for 10 minutes.)

Operation Procedure:
1. Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning"
2. Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning"
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION (previously mentioned) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds:
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL turned ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications:

Idle speed A/T: 650rpm, + or - 50 rpm (in P or N position)
Idle speed M/T: 650rpm, + or - 50 rpm (in N position)
Ignition timing A/T: 15 Degrees BTDC, + or – 5 Degrees BTDC (in P or N position)
Ignition timing M/T: 15 Degrees BTDC, + or – 5 Degrees BTDC (in N position)

13. If idle speed and ignition timing are not within the specification, Idle Air Volume Learning will not be carried out successfully. If idle speed and ignition timing are within the specification and Idle Air Volume Learning cannot be performed successfully, find the cause of the incident by referring to the following Diagnostic Procedure:

1. Check that throttle valve is fully closed.
2. Check PCV valve operation.
3. Check that downstream of throttle valve is free from air leakage.
4. When the above three items check out OK, engine component parts and their installation condition are questionable.
5. If any of the following conditions occur after the engine has started, eliminate the cause of the incident and perform Idle Air Volume Learning all over again:

- Engine stalls.
- Erroneous idle.

My question is do you have to perform the throttle learning prcedures and the idle air volume procedues, and the accelerator pedal prcedures or can you just do is these steps and thats it???...

<u>Basic ECU Reset</u>

Operations Procedures:

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” (NOT start) and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 seconds.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone. If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Remember, timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU. You may even need someone's help to do this correctly.
After ECU reset, anyone know if all these procedures need to be done to get the ECU ready for smog testing? I've read that in California the smog tech will hook up OBD2 and check that all the ECU monitoring systems are online. If they are not the test will fail, allegedly?

Thanks for any input.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:42 PM
whats the purpose in this?

Old 08-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by DJMaffei
whats the purpose in this?
basically to erase any learned A/F maps stored in the ECU, so you can start with a clean slate after installing any type of engine, intake or exhaust mod. Even though the ECU adjusts on the fly (eventually!?!).. it's quicker and more effective to just "wipe and go"!

Old 09-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure if this will help anyone, but I just installed an MREV 2 and spacer. On the first test drive the car's rpm would dip down really low when I pressed the clutch in 1st gear. Almost to the point where I thought the car would stall. It did this for the first couple of minutes. But then the car drove better and better as time went on. Everything is fine now.

Is this the automatic ECU adjustment that everyone says the G is supposed to do? Motordyne says that the gas pedal trick is totally unnecessary.

Last edited by superb16; 09-04-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:24 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Hmmm, the spacer install instructions from MD come with instructions to reset the ECU.

Wonder why if they say it's not necessary? I do it anytime I add a mod that affects the engine. Seems to work for me.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
U should reset the ECU every time you mod something, yes. And if you disconnected the throttle body while installing your spacer, you must also do the pedal position re-learn and idle-air relearn.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Hmmm, the spacer install instructions from MD come with instructions to reset the ECU.

Wonder why if they say it's not necessary? I do it anytime I add a mod that affects the engine. Seems to work for me.
Well I've got the instructions right here in front of me and it says the ECU pedal reset trick is NOT necessary. I think they print it just for people who absolutely feel as though it will actually do something. I never did it and my car is running like a champ. Very noticeable hp and tq gains. And engine and exhaust sounds are improved as well. So I won't even bother with the pedal dance.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by superb16
Well I've got the instructions right here in front of me and it says the ECU pedal reset trick is NOT necessary. I think they print it just for people who absolutely feel as though it will actually do something. I never did it and my car is running like a champ. Very noticeable hp and tq gains. And engine and exhaust sounds are improved as well. So I won't even bother with the pedal dance.
They do instruct you to diconnect the negative battery cable which will reset the ECU. I think the pedal reset instructions are there for the ones who didn't feel it was necessary to disconnect the battery. Not that it is necessary to do so.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
sorry im a noob, but when you guys turn the car on, obviously dont start it.
but is it set on so that all the control lights are one? or just the radio?
im sure im gonna get harassed for this post but just wanna make sure..

cuz i tried it with all the controls on and the check engine light started blinking during the procedure.. i quickly ran out at lunch during work to do it so i didnt drive rthe car more then just in the parking lot.. i will do this after work and see if i can get it done right

Old 11-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
after about 12 trys at this, i was finally able to reset the dam ecu!

here's my trick:
- the part where you push the gas pedal 5x in 5 seconds, do it fast!!

it worked for me and the results are impressive. my car has new life again!

Old 11-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the tip! I did it on my 06 coupe and it worked like a charm....

Old 02-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
what is the MIL light? i did the ecu re-set and and am trying to do the others but not sure what the MIL light is or where its located and also it says you can "hear" the throttle body operating..i did the throttle position learn like 10 times and i can never hear anything move?

i wanted to re-set everything sense i just bought the car a week ago and the service engine light came on for a TPS error', i figured id reset the ecu and re-do all of the things mentioned above to see if it was a hiccup

Old 02-25-2010, 09:46 PM
just did it and tested it... idk if its a mind thing, but it seems to accelerate harder and shift faster... i'm happy going to do it on my friends g tomorrow

Old 03-05-2010, 09:46 PM
tried this at least twenty times. never saw the CEL blink. fail.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:46 PM
finally got it to work. i had to wait about 10 seconds instead of seven. it made my service engine soon light turn off

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Easy Ecu Resetting