The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:36 AM
brb getting cut
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i checked my oil and i'm at 1000 miles, and the oil reached a little bit over halfway b/w the High and Low indicators. so far so good(knocks on wood!!!)

Old 09-16-2007, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final Update

Long story short: I got tired of Infiniti fckuing around and giving me BS about the problem - the G is now sold. 2 new engines, countless dealer trips, countless days of driving loaners, countless headaches and they want to give me a 3rd engine… “hand-built in Japan”…. Wooppedy-doo!!! I’ve had the problem since day-1 for 14K miles and that’s all I get? Not a good way to do business. Oh, and their corporate customer service is the worst in the industry, the lamest, rudest, and most unprofessional I’ve ever encountered.

I will never buy another Nissan product again, on principle. Too bad, since I really liked the car and wifey wanted to get the new FX. Oh well, about 300 miles to go before I can take the new 335i to 7K

Old 09-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Norcal I'm almost where you are at, I'm on last of the 4 total test for oil consumption. The wife has already told me that if the engine has to be replaced then the car is going up for sale. I was at the last test 1/2qt low. So far that's 1 qt in 3000 miles. I'm sure it will continue to burn though this next 1000 miles and a new engine will be ordered and the wife will start looking a new car.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:11 PM
uhh, 1qt in 3kmi would be a *LOT* less consumption than what I think most of us are seeing...

My g burned about 3-3.5 qt in 3kmi, and the worst thing about it is I think my dealership is dicking me around about it... I *STRONGLY* suspect that they added oil at the last oil change... the **** was BRIGHT yellow, no hint of any normal engine oil dirt etc...

I am more or less happy with the car minus the worrying about oil consumption and motor (and lack of power, but I guess thats to be expected when my other car is a built sti)

But yes infiniti and nissan need to get their crapola in gear.

Last edited by ronnyek; 09-17-2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: error
Old 09-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Can't blame ya. And great replacement choice.

Originally Posted by NorCalGRide
Long story short: I got tired of Infiniti fckuing around and giving me BS about the problem - the G is now sold. 2 new engines, countless dealer trips, countless days of driving loaners, countless headaches and they want to give me a 3rd engine… “hand-built in Japan”…. Wooppedy-doo!!! I’ve had the problem since day-1 for 14K miles and that’s all I get? Not a good way to do business. Oh, and their corporate customer service is the worst in the industry, the lamest, rudest, and most unprofessional I’ve ever encountered.

I will never buy another Nissan product again, on principle. Too bad, since I really liked the car and wifey wanted to get the new FX. Oh well, about 300 miles to go before I can take the new 335i to 7K

Old 09-17-2007, 05:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by NorCalGRide
and they want to give me a 3rd engine… “hand-built in Japan”…. Wooppedy-doo!!!
Understand you frustration and can't blame you after 2 VQs, but (too late now I guess) the hand built ones seem to be the answer.
From what I've read, those dont burn oil, rev smoother, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by accordhybrd
Norcal I'm almost where you are at, I'm on last of the 4 total test for oil consumption. The wife has already told me that if the engine has to be replaced then the car is going up for sale. I was at the last test 1/2qt low. So far that's 1 qt in 3000 miles. I'm sure it will continue to burn though this next 1000 miles and a new engine will be ordered and the wife will start looking a new car.
So...if your consumption stays the same (1qt/3000mi) they said you get a new VQ?
Please elaberate exactly what they told you and when you qualify for a new VQ. I'm still getting the 1qt/1000mi or worse BS.
Thanks.
Originally Posted by ronnyek
uhh, 1qt in 3kmi would be a *LOT* less consumption than what I think most of us are seeing...

But yes infiniti and nissan need to get their crapola in gear.
Agree...a lot are worse than 1qt/1000mi, but even that 1qt/3000mi consumption, or mine now (1qt/2500mi) is still unacceptable to me with todays engine standards and not even 25K on the odo.
And totally agree with your last statement.
They sent out from production line major bogus to minor bogus VQ's.
IMO...no bogus VQ's should have left, but they did and Nissan/Infiniti should address the issue with all affected (major to minor) VQ oil issues.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
So...if your consumption stays the same (1qt/3000mi) they said you get a new VQ?
Please elaberate exactly what they told you and when you qualify for a new VQ. I'm still getting the 1qt/1000mi or worse BS.
Thanks.
When my wife and I visited Frontier Infiniti and we sat down with Kevin this past Saturday (I normally would have spoke with Brad but he was off) after the topped the car off he informed me that it again was a 1/2 qrt low and seems to be burning oil consistently. If it continues to burn then it looks like you would be a good candidate for a new engine. I said ok, what happens after the last test. He explained they send off the finding to Infiniti corp. and they have a chart that will make the determination on whether or not I get a new engine or not.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^^Good luck to you with the test and Nissan's evaluation process with regard to a new engine.

I am some 400 miles shy of my 3rd test. The 2 previous test yielded 1-1/2 quarts low at 1000 miles each. After the findings of the 3rd test, I think that I will file a claim with the BBB.

This is my 2nd request for an engine oil consumption test. The first was performed when the car had logged only 1600 miles.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:57 PM
6MT Coupe
When my wife and I visited Frontier Infiniti and we sat down with Kevin this past Saturday (I normally would have spoke with Brad but he was off) after the topped the car off he informed me that it again was a 1/2 qrt low and seems to be burning oil consistently. If it continues to burn then it looks like you would be a good candidate for a new engine. I said ok, what happens after the last test. He explained they send off the finding to Infiniti corp. and they have a chart that will make the determination on whether or not I get a new engine or not.
Interesting...thanks for that insite.
That helps me a lot what to expect, since I'm not worse than their 1qt/1000mi thing.
Hope that chart still doesn't go by that threshold for your sake, mine and others in the same boat as us.
Was going to ask you about why 3 complete and almost done with 4th consumption test. Thats 12,000miles of testing. Wow.
Guess it'll comfirm its a constant oil burner. Hope you get the green light and no further stalling after all that testing.
Originally Posted by andy2434
^^^^Good luck to you with the test and Nissan's evaluation process with regard to a new engine.

I am some 400 miles shy of my 3rd test. The 2 previous test yielded 1-1/2 quarts low at 1000 miles each. After the findings of the 3rd test, I think that I will file a claim with the BBB.

This is my 2nd request for an engine oil consumption test. The first was performed when the car had logged only 1600 miles.
Andy...with your confirmed consumption rate, hope they don't try yanking your chain after 2nd full completed test.
BBB would be my next call as well if they do in your case.
G/L and will think good thoughts for you.

Guess I should've started my testing awhile ago
Little less than 300mi till next service due, then I'll start mine.
It's time for me to move forward with this.This post has been very informative.
Same with my350Z, lots of history as to how things have transpired since dates of OP on both those.
Power to the forums...
Infiniti of Fairfield...here I come... and I'm well informed too...
Ugh...this is going to be a looong process.
I'll update with results now and then.

Peace......

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 09-17-2007 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:44 AM
Interesting...thanks for that insite.
That helps me a lot what to expect, since I'm not worse than their 1qt/1000mi thing.
Hope that chart still doesn't go by that threshold for your sake, mine and others in the same boat as us.
Was going to ask you about why 3 complete and almost done with 4th consumption test. Thats 12,000miles of testing. Wow.
Guess it'll comfirm its a constant oil burner. Hope you get the green light and no further stalling after all that testing.

Andy...with your confirmed consumption rate, hope they don't try yanking your chain after 2nd full completed test.
BBB would be my next call as well if they do in your case.
G/L and will think good thoughts for you.

Guess I should've started my testing awhile ago
Little less than 300mi till next service due, then I'll start mine.
It's time for me to move forward with this.This post has been very informative.
Same with my350Z, lots of history as to how things have transpired since dates of OP on both those.
Power to the forums...
Infiniti of Fairfield...here I come... and I'm well informed too...
Ugh...this is going to be a looong process.
I'll update with results now and then.

Peace......
When I said I'm on my 4th test what I meant was that every 1,000 miles you have to bring it in to check the oil level. According to Infiniti they use the 3750 thrushold so you will need to bring it back to the dealer a total of 4 times equaling 4,000 total miles.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Angry

So i really wish i had read this thread a two years ago-last weekend. A long story shot I had my car towed to infiniti on saturday after I t just shut down on me. I was coming off of a major highway, about to make a hard left turn when it just shut off includeing the power steering.

Infifnit called me yesterday and told me i need a new engine. They said it was two quarts low on oil and i have to come up with all my oil change receipts. Luckyly I only had about 23,000 miles on it but i still have to show five receipts.

so today I'm off to try and collect receipts from a bunch of different oil change places Im sure i can come up with at least three.

wish me luck

EDIT
I have six receipts

Last edited by Luke enas; 09-18-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
so what's to stop someone from requesting an oil consumption test and then draining out a qt or two before going back?

Old 09-18-2007, 05:11 PM
6MT Coupe
When I said I'm on my 4th test what I meant was that every 1,000 miles you have to bring it in to check the oil level. According to Infiniti they use the 3750 thrushold so you will need to bring it back to the dealer a total of 4 times equaling 4,000 total miles.
Gotcha...thought you meant 4 competed tests, being each completed test = about 3000 to 4000 miles.
That's even better news...thanks for the clarification on your situation.
Originally Posted by bythabay
so what's to stop someone from requesting an oil consumption test and then draining out a qt or two before going back?
Somewhere way back in this post, read Dealers were sealing off the dip stick and drain plug during testing to eliminate that possibility of dishonest owners trying to get new VQ's that aren't oil burners.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Gotcha...thought you meant 4 competed tests, being each completed test = about 3000 to 4000 miles.
That's even better news...thanks for the clarification on your situation.

Somewhere way back in this post, read Dealers were sealing off the dip stick and drain plug during testing to eliminate that possibility of dishonest owners trying to get new VQ's that aren't oil burners.
wow, that's crazy.. are they welding these things shut? wtf? lol

Old 09-18-2007, 05:25 PM
I can confirm they do mark the oil cap with a dap of grease but they do nothing to the drain plug or the dip stick.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!