The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Everyone: Check Your Oil!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What dealership in there right mind would tell a customer that 4 qrts in 2739 in nothing to worry about?????????????? This really shows that infiniti/nissan has no clue on what they are doing. I would get that in writing then have them top of the oil and drive away. Blow the damn thing up have it towed back to that dealership and let them replace the engine then.

Andy what dealer are you going too?

Old 09-27-2007, 11:47 PM
im at around 3700 miles and getting an oil change tomorrow for the first time. my oil light hasnt come on yet, so should there be anything i should be worried about? how should i properly take care of my car reguarding oil changes etc? what should i ask the dealership to do or whatever tomorrow when i get my oil changed?

and as far as i know.. infiniti of serramonte is closing down tomorrow. that might be the same dealership that andy is referring to.

Last edited by sliq; 09-27-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^^Ask them to measure how many quarts drained out.
Beyond that point, I would self monitor (check your oil) then you can tell if you have this plague or not.
If you do, start oil consumption testing and cross your fingers.
If you don't, feel blessed and enjoy your G.

-Andy- Very disheartening news. No way to go to another dealer and continue the last portion of the test and get replacement approved, being there is a paper trail with the past test?

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 09-28-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:04 AM
i just check my dip stick and see if i have plague on it? or how do i check?

Old 09-28-2007, 12:13 AM
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by sliq
i just check my dip stick and see if i have plague on it? or how do i check?
lol...plague meaning the dreaded oil consumption issue, like a wide spread disease or illness.

Check your oil level on your dip stick. With you at 3700mi, are you a quart low or is there no oil on dip stick at all?
Thats why i said for your dealer to measure how much comes out for this time. Then self monitor after that by checking level every 1000 miles and see if your burning oil and if so how much per 1000 miles.
Gues it depends on how much or how little drains out at your service tomorrow whether you you start testing with them or not at that point.

Checking oil level is always a good pratice, even if its not an oil burner.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 09-28-2007 at 12:40 AM. Reason: my spelling bad tonight...corrected
Old 09-28-2007, 05:18 AM
This whole oil consumption issue has really made me **** about checking my oil...As of 2100 miles(10,000 on the car) since my last change I have added about 3/4 quart of dino oil....I know that is low compared to you other guys but still demonstrates that it is going through oil....With another 1500 miles to go until I change her again that adds up to about 1.5 quarts per 3750 miles...I don't drive too hard and only let loose every once and a while...

Old 09-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Broke mine in on Dino oil for 10K, run M1 exclusively, ran it like I stole it from day one. I use less than 1/2 pint (8oz) between changes (7500mi) I have a 2005 sport sedan MT6.

This is just weird. I realize that mostly people that have oil problems post here and the ones that have no probs don't post, but you would think that they would have acknowledged the problem by now.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:47 AM
6MT Coupe
^^^Agree. Wish the NHTSA would make Nissan/Infiniti acknowledge this rather than case-by-case or depending which dealer you go to.
Looks like Infiniti (or dealer) is starting to dick with ppl who even meet their retarded threshold replacement guidelines.
This is what makes me mad that not all rev-up VQ's have this issue. But the ones that do even in moderation, are getting song and danced.

If the NHTSA gets enough complaints filed, they'll investigate and I believe they have the power to TELL Nissan/Infiniti to do a recall on these defective VQ's.
Some ppl have filed (its public record and can be viewed on their web site as well as file a complaint) I have.
Only wish that every person who posted here with this issue would file a complaint. That would finally get the NHTSA's attention.

Nissan/Infiniti not stupid. I doubt they would ever do a volunteer national recall on this. It would tarnish their many years of awards for that generation VQ power plant
They need to be TOLD and held accountable about this issue.

At this point, I'm seriously considering dumping my G, absorb my loss and go with something else that doesn't have major defects as this.
Been living with this issue for almost 2 years and have grown very tired of it. Its delayed my original plans I had for my G, VQ wise.
Everyday the fun factor has decreased along with me loving my G to it being a PITA as well as a POS worrying about my oil level. And I paid how much for this

Sorry for the rant ppl...but I'm about done with Nissan/Infiniti's crap.

Last edited by Andy2434; 09-29-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sooooo has anyone else with the oil consumption issue been given the revised RevUp (called Version 2 or V2 on my350z.com) or am I one of the lucky few?? I haven't heard of any other G's receiving the V2 RevUp besides me. Quite a few 350Z's have.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bocatrip
It doesn't seem that the early G35s (03-04) had any of these issues.
05 and 06 G35s ATs seem to not have oil issues either.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Andy I'm with you and I have only had the car for a year. My wife already started looking at new cars in case the engine is going to be replaced. She told me if its getting replaced we are selling it. It's crazy to drive around the car dealerships and see how many 05-06 coupes are sitting on the used car lots.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:36 PM
I've been experiencing the same problem with my 06 Coupe since day one, and I've had it for a year now. I take my car in for oil consumption tests just about every other week, and every time, my car eats between 1 and 1.5 quarts of oil every thousand miles. The dealership I've been taking it to (Serramonte), is closing down this week, and they told me I should also be in line for a new engine. From my previous experiences dealing with the dealerships around here, I'm sure it's just a bunch of lip service.

Bought a Nissan because of the great rep they had for quality, and here my new Infiniti runs worse than my old Mitsubishi GSX. Go figure.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hexxum001
Sooooo has anyone else with the oil consumption issue been given the revised RevUp (called Version 2 or V2 on my350z.com) or am I one of the lucky few?? I haven't heard of any other G's receiving the V2 RevUp besides me. Quite a few 350Z's have.
Are these the ones that they are saying are hand built? When I got mine replaced they said that is what it is. I dont really know how true it is since it looks like my car is burning more oil than before. I am already going through another round of oil comsumption tests.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL . . . Good Lord, where do I start?

Dealership "A" says that my first 2 oil consumption tests (1st test, 942 miles, 1.5 qts. low . . . 2nd test, 953 miles, another 1.5 quarts low) shows a high engine oil consumption rate. Due to the fact that dealership "A" is closing their doors, I opt to go to dealership "B" for the 3rd consumption test. Dealership "B's" 3rd test reading shows a 1 qt. consumption in 844 miles. That's a total of 4 quarts in some 2,739 miles. However, dealership "B" states that rate of oil consumption is normal.

I called the Infiniti Consumer Affairs 800# and they tell me that they have not the technical expertise to help me on this issue with regard to engine oil consumption. They advise me to go back to dealership "B".

This morning, I decide to drive down to dealership "C" and have a chat and to get another opinion. Dealership "C" tells me that the my car's rate of oil consumption, based on their data base, is high and not normal. They advise me to go back to dealership "B" to get things resolved, because I have already started a test there . . . Arrrrggggg!

Looks like I may be getting my 997 P-car, very soon. However, that still leaves me without a daily driver, if I opt to sell my G.

This whole situation is truly amazing and mind boggling, to say the least.

I trust that everyone else has an easier time with resolving their own oil consumption issues.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:53 PM
why dont you just get your oil changed every 2500 miles andrew?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.

Quick Reply: Everyone: Check Your Oil!