The G-Spot General discussion about the G Series;
G35 & G37, Coupes & Sedans

Just did clutch spring removal.. help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just did clutch spring removal.. help!!

Ok I just did the clutch spring removal on my 03 coupe. The clutch engagement point is now right at the top of the pedal. As soon as the car starts the move the clutch is already all the way out. Im scared that I might be messing up my clutch or trans. Can anybody help me here? Will I be okay? The clutch does have some free play in it, so I'm thinking that means that it's fully engaged, but Im not sure. I adjusted the clutch pedal by moving the rod. I moved the clutch forwards a little bit to take away a little bit of the free play.

Last edited by dmarz45; 09-22-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Move the clutch back to where it was and see if that fixes the problem. You can't adjust it too far or the clutch won't engage fully. Then it will slip and you will wear out the clutch fast

Old 09-23-2011, 12:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah the clutch is basically in the same position as it was. Just moved up a hair. I think I should be ok. Is there anything I can do it make sure my clutch isn't slipping at all?

Old 09-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Give it some gas in the low rpm's and see if the rpm shoot up. Basically any time the rpms don't match the acceleration means your clutch is slipping

Old 09-25-2011, 11:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
dmarz45

If you’re doing the clutch mod to your car where you pull the pedal assembly and completely remove the clutch assist spring to get better clutch feel then you have absolutely nothing to worry about as far as slipping.

See my post about another clutch mod I'm working on and it explains the function of the spring you removed and how it could potentially cause clutch failure. Its about half way down my first post.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...long-read.html

With the spring removed you can turn the adjuster as much as you want without any wory of clutch damage anymore. The only thing to watch out for with that spring go is going too far the other way and getting the friction point too close to the floor. The danger here is the clutch may not fully disengage and could do synchro damage if driven this way.

A simple test to see it its too low is to have the engine running, clutch down fully, wait 10 seconds then try sliding it into first. Does it slip in easy or does it feel like its being blocked? If blocked go back and turn the rod back out a half turn to lengthen the stroke and try again. If easy then go back to neutral, clutch out for a few seconds, clutch back in wait 10 seconds and try the same thing only this time try going into reverse. Same as above if resistance is felt, if not your golden to enjoy your improved clutch feel.

As a general rule the clutch pedal should sit level with your brake pedal when adjusted correctly. The cruise switch should be adjusted to be about 75% depressed but not fully bottomed out and the pedal should have a little free play. With that spring gone there is almost no clutch travel above the engagement point as the clutch diaphram is the only spring pushing the pedal back up so that is totally normal.

Hope that helps. Cheers

Old 09-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have read all the clutch pedal adjustments/mods on this site and first off most of these do not apply to the 07's and newer. I have an 07 and the helper spring assembly is very different from the pictures and is about 1/2 the length. However I figured I would try adjusting the fork/rod forward a bit just to experience the feel in play. I turned it clockwise 1 1/2 turns and test drove it. It did not make a huge difference in feel and upon return the clutch pedal felt soft and did not return as normal- not as snappy. I will be adjusting it back to stock today as I like that feel better. I may even adjust it toward the driver seat 1/2-1 turn (counterclockwise) and see how that feels. I will share the feedback if I do so. I think this pedal is perfect for track and autocross at stock IMO. Hills seem to be the major drawback of the clutch modulating a clean stop/takeoff. This would be the only change I would like to see in play. Im wondering if a small spacer would improve this...

Old 10-03-2011, 09:12 PM
as for 07'+ models I have reached a positive result by turning the clutch fork 1/2 turn (from stock setting) clockwise. This basically evens up the clutch pedal to the brake pedal height. This feels very comfortable and is a minor adjustment taking out just slight play. Adjusting it too far inward or outward whatsoever seems to put it out of sinc with the brake pedal height and effects the feel of the helper assist spring. I might put in a small 1/4" spacer at the end of the clutch pedal stopper to eliminate just a tad of play without risking any harmful effects of engagement/disengagement. I will provide feedback if I feel this further improves the feel.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Ok so I decided to try and add the 1/4" spacer to the clutch pedal stopper to shorten the clutch stroke just a tad. I am stoked with the results. I always feel you can shift without really fully pressing the pedal to the floor anyway.. so this shortened the play just enough to feel more comfortable with less effort needed to press the pedal to the floor. This combined with the 1/2 turn clockwise of the clutch rod fork seemed to be the perfect balance and feel for me. I know the adjustments are minimal enough not to cause wear with engagement/disengagement of clutch, but just enough to improve feel and effort. Again this is on an 07' which has a pretty good clutch already.