G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Took me a while, but I finally finished reading through all 100 pages. Anyway, I don't have a G yet, but I've been searching for the right one to pop up and have already started looking into how I want to mod it.

I'm only looking for a 6MT, this will be my daily driver, and I'm in PA.

I'd like to start with light performance and exterior mods, then move into handling/suspension and go from there.

This is what I've come up with:

1. MD 5/16" spacer (will probably only be able to afford an 03-04. I'll grab a mrev2 as well if I get an 05+)
2. K&N air filter
3. Z-tube
4. Window tint (not sure about this one...from what I've read PA tint laws are pretty strict)
5. Clear corners, debadge (everything but Mt. Fuji)

That would probably be my first set of installments. I'd like to move into improving handling from here. I know that most people recommend coilovers over springs, but how much do coilovers improve handling? I would like to drop the car as well, but probably not over 1", so basically my question is; if I'm looking to get mostly handling improvements out of coilovers, am I wasting my money?

I'd probably snag some sway bars as well and call it quits in regards to handling, unless I'm blatantly missing something here.

I'm hesitant to install a new exhaust, as to be honest, I'm not sure I want to make the car that much louder. I realize there are some performance improvements that come along with them, but to start, I think I'll hold off, unless you guys strongly recommend otherwise. But with that said, if I did install a new one, I'd probably go for the xo2 and a set of titanium tips. I know "you get what you pay for", but to be honest I don't need a $1200+ exhaust. It's just not worth it to me. In regards to the sound, would if be anywhere close to the stock noise level with an X-pipe installed?

Anyway, that's probably the order I'll go through to begin with, before adding rims, exterior or interior mods, etc. Any comments, suggestions, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Th611
That would probably be my first set of installments. I'd like to move into improving handling from here. I know that most people recommend coilovers over springs, but how much do coilovers improve handling? I would like to drop the car as well, but probably not over 1", so basically my question is; if I'm looking to get mostly handling improvements out of coilovers, am I wasting my money?

I'd probably snag some sway bars as well and call it quits in regards to handling, unless I'm blatantly missing something here.

I'm hesitant to install a new exhaust, as to be honest, I'm not sure I want to make the car that much louder. I realize there are some performance improvements that come along with them, but to start, I think I'll hold off, unless you guys strongly recommend otherwise. But with that said, if I did install a new one, I'd probably go for the xo2 and a set of titanium tips. I know "you get what you pay for", but to be honest I don't need a $1200+ exhaust. It's just not worth it to me. In regards to the sound, would if be anywhere close to the stock noise level with an X-pipe installed?

Anyway, that's probably the order I'll go through to begin with, before adding rims, exterior or interior mods, etc. Any comments, suggestions, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
I have two of the same questions as well! For handling, I want to lower my car about an inch no more to get rid of the gap but not make my car incredibly slammed. Springs + Camber better?

I like the stock sound of the G35 a lot, so does getting something like HFC's change the sound a lot?

Old 01-27-2012, 03:27 AM
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
I'm not sure what I should do next. I'm trying to do my mods one at a time.

I have a 2004 DG coupe w/ 67k miles

So far:
MD Copper iso spacer
Z Tube
K&N
ART pipes
ARK catback
MD Front and rear sways
Front and rear SPC camber kit
spacers
06-07 projector lights painted + clear lens
Lowered on tien H 350z springs
painted my OEM 18s
Gialla grill with floating fuji
rear debadge except fuji
double din
LEDs all around.
Clear corners

Heres what i want to do:
06-07 JDM tails
Strafe speed trunk
Nismo front bumper
drain all fluids and replenish.
replace all spark plugs
full detail
Osiris Tune
Coil overs

First, I'm leaning more towards replacing all of my fluids and spark plugs and then getting the tune done. But I really want those JDM tails... and the strafe trunk... so yeah. I'm conflicted about what i want to get.

I'm upgrading my wheels this summer. I have brand new kumos on my 18's, and i'm going to wait until i'm out of tread to size up to 19's.

or is there something else i should do first?

let me know what you guys think.

I have around 1500 to spend at the moment, about 2,000 at the most.

thanks!

Old 01-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Th611
Took me a while, but I finally finished reading through all 100 pages. Anyway, I don't have a G yet, but I've been searching for the right one to pop up and have already started looking into how I want to mod it.

I'm only looking for a 6MT, this will be my daily driver, and I'm in PA.

I'd like to start with light performance and exterior mods, then move into handling/suspension and go from there.

This is what I've come up with:

1. MD 5/16" spacer (will probably only be able to afford an 03-04. I'll grab a mrev2 as well if I get an 05+)
2. K&N air filter
3. Z-tube
4. Window tint (not sure about this one...from what I've read PA tint laws are pretty strict)
5. Clear corners, debadge (everything but Mt. Fuji)

Thanks a lot.
You wont be wasting money with coilovers. But for me, im going to do sway bars and strut bars first.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by DrkBLuG35Sdn
I have two of the same questions as well! For handling, I want to lower my car about an inch no more to get rid of the gap but not make my car incredibly slammed. Springs + Camber better?

I like the stock sound of the G35 a lot, so does getting something like HFC's change the sound a lot?
It wont change it a whole lot. But when you hit the gas itll be louder and deeper. Just search on youtube, plenty of videos on there to find the one you like. Im going to buy Berk HFC's for my stock exhaust.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by aa2033
I'm not sure what I should do next. I'm trying to do my mods one at a time.

I have a 2004 DG coupe w/ 67k miles

So far:
MD Copper iso spacer
Z Tube
K&N
ART pipes
ARK catback
MD Front and rear sways
Front and rear SPC camber kit
spacers
06-07 projector lights painted + clear lens
Lowered on tien H 350z springs
painted my OEM 18s
Gialla grill with floating fuji
rear debadge except fuji
double din
LEDs all around.
Clear corners

Heres what i want to do:
06-07 JDM tails
Strafe speed trunk
Nismo front bumper
drain all fluids and replenish.
replace all spark plugs
full detail
Osiris Tune
Coil overs

First, I'm leaning more towards replacing all of my fluids and spark plugs and then getting the tune done. But I really want those JDM tails... and the strafe trunk... so yeah. I'm conflicted about what i want to get.

I'm upgrading my wheels this summer. I have brand new kumos on my 18's, and i'm going to wait until i'm out of tread to size up to 19's.

or is there something else i should do first?

let me know what you guys think.

I have around 1500 to spend at the moment, about 2,000 at the most.

thanks!
You have a nice list Hope to get mine that long someday haha

Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just purchased a 2006 G35 black coupe MT.
I wanted to increase the performance and also the look of it. I was thinking what's the cheapest way to improve performance and what advice do you guys have to make my G a sexy *********aaa

Old 01-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
Start out with a Mortordyne plenum spacer and Z tube for performance.

The following users liked this post:
searchndestroyd (01-31-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 08:45 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by searchndestroyd
I just purchased a 2006 G35 black coupe MT.
I wanted to increase the performance and also the look of it. I was thinking what's the cheapest way to improve performance and what advice do you guys have to make my G a sexy *********aaa
How much are you willing to spend? Without going Forced Induction, you will not see a significant gain from bolt-ons. The Vortech supercharger is legal in CA, but is costly. As far as bolt-ons:

1) MD MREV2
2) MD 5/16" or 1/2" plenum spacer
3) Z-tube
4) HFC's / MD ART pipes
5) Osiris tune

Since your in Socal, Church's automotive should be relatively close to you. Most people in your area go there for tuning.

The following users liked this post:
searchndestroyd (01-31-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
i wish we could STICKY this STICKY...!!!!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Just spend the money on FORCED INDUCTION! My current set up: Greddy TT, helix downpipes, JIC Full titanium single side exhaust, Tein's, Blitz Carbon Gauges, shift light, A/F digital gauge, Kenwood Double din, ViS TS CF hood and v1 CF trunk lid, short shifter, Osiris tune, and some more goodies...Bout to sell her though :-(

Old 01-31-2012, 11:05 PM
I want my car to turn heads but I dont know what would be some good mods for my g35 black 2006.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by searchndestroyd
I want my car to turn heads but I dont know what would be some good mods for my g35 black 2006.
Turn heads? Lowered with Deep Concave rims. Maybe an exhaust.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
Plus BBK

Old 02-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Just got my projectors in with 8k's. I have already gotten window tinted to 5% all around jwt pop charger with stillen z-tube and a topspeed exhaust. Rims are stock powdercoated black. Its a pretty clean look. I'm just not really sure what to do next. Osiris tune ... spacers.... btw I have a 2004 g35 5 AT coupe (Drive on the highway to get to school everyday. Lots of traffic) . Anyway let me know.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy for my Coupe?" Thread