G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Short shifter - all the same?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Short shifter - all the same?

Have anyone purchased a short shifter on ebay? I know they sell plenty of non-branded shifters for a lot less than B & M and similar brands.

If all the parts are machined to match each other and have quality construction, why not purchase the cheaper ones? I used to fix civic / integras and their shifters are interchangable. Any aftermarket ones were fine and didn't cause any problems. When B&M first came out with the aftermarket short shifter, it was about $100. Soon after all the nonbranded companies started to make the shifters and sold it for a lot less, all the branded companies dropped their prices.

Can this theory hold for G shifters? I've seen it. Can't go too wrong with the construction of it. Thanks.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:10 PM
G35driver Addict
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
civic and acura's are interchangeable prolly bc they are both hondas. same as 350z and the g are both nissan so the shifters are prolly interchangeable. I would figure that it would depend on the tranny.

I'd say do a search for short shifter or shifter and see what other brands are out there. IMO I'd pay a little more for the brand name because I feel safer with the quality and such. And there has to be differences because brand name products usually have patents unless you get a bootleg product that is exactly the same. Maybe cheaper materials make the generic ones cheaper or something is slightly different with their design. the manufacturer prolly has some kind of warranty backing brand name products also.

Old 02-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I know what you're saying. Having that name brand part does make you feel better. But is it worth and extra $150? I can understand it when it comes to more important parts like headers, suspension and electronic parts. But for a metal stick? If you understand the construction of a shifter, there's not much to it.

It not like it gonna break off during a hard shift. Branded products sell theirs for so much more becuase 1) they can and 2) to recoop the R & D and for advertisement they spent on that product.

I guess I'm trying to talk myself out of spending two bills on a shifter.

Old 02-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Polyester Pileup FTW!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a short shifter from Pro-1 which is an exact replica of the B&M. Its build quality seemed to be fantastic and it fits on the car like a glove. So far it has been a good piece for the week or so I have owned it. One of the forum members had a few of them whom I bought mine from for $75.00. Maybe he will chime in here.

Last edited by PhxBlue; 02-28-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:10 PM
I did the same kind of research and figured I would go top of the line (Rogue). I have had it in the car for almost a year and it has developed a VERY anoying rattle. I have tried everthing possible to get it to stop with no luck. I have heard that the B&M and the sorted aftermarket "no name" ones have the same problems. If I had it to do over again I would have just left my stock one in and saved my nearly 200 bucks. I can say the throw is def. shorter and outside the rattle it seems to be a well built piece but again I feel now that I just wasted 200 bucks. Moral of the story stick with the stock one or be ready for rattles. Just my .2

Old 03-01-2006, 04:58 AM
Old 03-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
I have a Revo short shifter, and so far with the 12k miles I put on it, no problems... it came looking exactly like stock, only shorter and the metal plate was slightly different, but it feels just like stock right now. So in other words, yes there is alot of hype about the Rogue on the forum here, and while I'm not doubting that it's one damn good short shifter, that doesn't mean you can't get a quality short shifter for much less (I spent something like $120 on the Revo)...

Originally Posted by ScottR
I did the same kind of research and figured I would go top of the line (Rogue). I have had it in the car for almost a year and it has developed a VERY anoying rattle. I have tried everthing possible to get it to stop with no luck. I have heard that the B&M and the sorted aftermarket "no name" ones have the same problems. If I had it to do over again I would have just left my stock one in and saved my nearly 200 bucks. I can say the throw is def. shorter and outside the rattle it seems to be a well built piece but again I feel now that I just wasted 200 bucks. Moral of the story stick with the stock one or be ready for rattles. Just my .2
And as for the rattling, check your shift ****... it might have gotten a bit loose after the year of driving and the metal ring in there is just moving around... the shift **** on this car needs to be tightened really tight or that piece is gonna rattle...

Trending Topics

Old 03-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Mmhm...
how much shorter can you get on the g35/350Z shifter, it already seems short to begin with

Old 03-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by dofu
I have a Revo short shifter, and so far with the 12k miles I put on it, no problems... it came looking exactly like stock, only shorter and the metal plate was slightly different, but it feels just like stock right now. So in other words, yes there is alot of hype about the Rogue on the forum here, and while I'm not doubting that it's one damn good short shifter, that doesn't mean you can't get a quality short shifter for much less (I spent something like $120 on the Revo)...

And as for the rattling, check your shift ****... it might have gotten a bit loose after the year of driving and the metal ring in there is just moving around... the shift **** on this car needs to be tightened really tight or that piece is gonna rattle...
Thanks, but I have already done that (several times). I have tried a NISNO, a Momo and now gone back to OEM. The rattle seems to be coming from the top part of the shifter that pushes down (reverse) where the 2 pieces meet is where the rattle is coming from not to mention there is almost a 1/4" of slop at that point as well.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottR
Thanks, but I have already done that (several times). I have tried a NISNO, a Momo and now gone back to OEM. The rattle seems to be coming from the top part of the shifter that pushes down (reverse) where the 2 pieces meet is where the rattle is coming from not to mention there is almost a 1/4" of slop at that point as well.
I found that hand torque alone isn't enough... I used a wrench and torqued the thing really well, and that got rid of the problem. Just saying that you might not be torquing it enough. You can always take out the ring to see if the rattling goes away. If that isn't your problem, then you might want to check some of the bolts under the shift boot... other then that, I don't know how to help you... never been there yet.