G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Random Little Question Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 111 Likes on 98 Posts
I would them paint the whole bumper gloss then aerosol the ducts trim black. Don't leave them In primer. It's too thin

Old 01-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks, that makes sense a little, but even after stopping, doesn't brake have to continuously act so as to stop rolling forward or backward in case of a signal having little slope or at inclines? In my commute, there are around 5 signals that have a downward slope, so at those places i put in park and put on hand brake while waiting especially if i am among the first five cars at signal as the wait is around 1-3 mins.
It's "acting", but only against gravity, which isn't great when you're just on a little slope. You still need movement of the brake pad on the rotor in order to wear it down.

Think of if you hold the tip of a pencil on a piece of paper. It won't wear down the pencil unless you're moving it.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by r1forever80
I would them paint the whole bumper gloss then aerosol the ducts trim black. Don't leave them In primer. It's too thin
They already come flat black, i dont think they're primered. What about just masking them off?

Old 01-18-2012, 04:16 PM
Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts
Thats what i did to mine and it looks great, it already comes flat black

Old 01-18-2012, 04:16 PM
^i have one. They come flat black primered as most via stuff does. I've also Sanded it before and it's thin.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Maybe ill just paint em Satin?

Old 01-18-2012, 04:24 PM
Satin or trim black is what most people use. Satin will have more of a sheen. I dont have my ducts cuz i cut them off

Old 01-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Oh ok trim black comes in a can, from automotive stores right?

Old 01-19-2012, 12:32 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkSedan4me
I bought a nismo bumper. Thinking of painting the ducts obsidian black as well since nothing in my car is flat black. You guys think i should do it or leave em flat
Matte/Satin black. Just look at JohnnyOne's old car, so sick

Originally Posted by GXXXV X
I would say in order to make them match with something else on the car I would suggest painting the grille flat black maybe
Another excellent suggestion!

Originally Posted by r1forever80
Exactly.
I did mine in rattle can. It's just fine for satin finishes (provided you do your prep and are careful how you apply it)

Originally Posted by BlkSedan4me
Oh ok trim black comes in a can, from automotive stores right?
Yes. Duplicolor has a satin black engine enamel that's actually really really easy to work with and makes a nice finish.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 AM
I might do a matte black emblemless grill. Trying to give the whole front a face lift. I just bought the new projector headlights with the leds and halos

Old 01-19-2012, 12:53 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
No, you actually should NEVER put your car in neutral or park while sitting at an intersection. There are many reasons why, but I'm posting from phone right now. I'll elaborate later
I've heard that its because the Neutral Goblin is on the prowl and he strangles anybody who puts their car in Neutral at inappropriate times.
^Well yes, but there are other reasons too

Originally Posted by g35_white
Saving gas is another thing, but i doubt it will have that much effect. The reason i had doubt about brakes wearing is lets say if we are on a incline or a little slope at traffic signal, due to downward force, have to use the brakes to stop car from rolling back, so i guess at that time it will require extra effort.

Even i am not sure why i do that, i was just doing this because it helps me relax my right foot

I would appreciate if you could give reasons. Looking forward to it. Thanks

Thanks, that makes sense a little, but even after stopping, doesn't brake have to continuously act so as to stop rolling forward or backward in case of a signal having little slope or at inclines? In my commute, there are around 5 signals that have a downward slope, so at those places i put in park and put on hand brake while waiting especially if i am among the first five cars at signal as the wait is around 1-3 mins.
Ok...
Many states' driver handbooks actually warn against putting the car in park or neutral at a stop light.
The reasons for this are:
1: If something happens and you need to be able to get out of the way quickly, and you're in neutral, forget it... you're not getting out of the way of anything in time, too much lag between your reaction time and the transmissions lag getting into gear.
For example, if you're at a red light, and traffic is clear in front of you and you're just waiting on the light and you hear squeeling/crashing behind you... you may actually be better off to run the light and keep from getting rear-ended. It's a split-second decision you have to make, but it's not on the table if you have to shift it into drive first. (this is just a theoretical example, but I've seen it save people before)

2: You run the risk of rolling in traffic (not good at all)

3: If you're sitting in neutral and take your foot off the brake and somebody rear ends you, you'll end up pushed right out into cross traffic or the car in front of you, you simply will not have enough time to get on the brakes

4: If you forget to put it in gear when you go to pull off, your brakelights go off, and if the person behind you isn't paying close enough attention and think you started moving forward when you're actually no, they could hit you

5: If there is an emergency vehicle that you have to move for, putting your car in gear is one less step to botch up

6: While stopped, you're not causing any wear AT ALL on your brake system. The only thing that wears brakes is the friction of the pad rubbing against the rotor while the car is being slowed to a stop, once stopped, there is no more rubbing, and thus no more wear being done to the brakes (yes, even if there is a steep incline) .....while we're on the point of steep inclines, if you drive in an area with steep grades, you especially shouldn't switch your car into neutral at a light, that's just asking for trouble.
When you're stopped on an incline, all the force of the car is actually resting on the bolts that hold the caliper to the spindle, and there's no WAY you're gonna brake those, even if you hung the car from them

7: You're not saving the transmission from any wear. Your transmission has a torque converter for a reason. Automatic transmissions have been designed since the beginning to be kept in drive while stopped. The torque converter is taking care of all that for you, so if putting it in neutral would just be pointless and redundant.

8: gas savings, if any at all, will be very negligible... once again, your transmission has a torque converter for a reason. I you did save a couple of cents, it certainly wouldn't be worth the extra risk you're running by not having your foot on the brakes.

9: Brakes don't wear while stopped, however your transmission linkage has plenty of joints/pivots/etc... that wear with use (even slightly)
Shifting the level back and forth dozens of times a day extra is just putting that much wear on all the linkage components, which could eventually cause slop if done enough times a day for long enough.

10: If you put your car in neutral just to roll back a bit before leaving the intersection, so people around you think you have a manual.... you're a ricer idiot that needs to be killed

(....ok, so I couldn't think of a legitimate 10th reason, but I also couldn't stop at only 9 )

The following 3 users liked this post by NFSP G35:
g35_white (01-19-2012), GXXXV X (01-19-2012), NjMatteSedan (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
^
Many states' driver handbooks actually warn against putting the car in park or neutral at a stop light.
The reasons for this are:
1: If something happens and you need to be able to get out of the way quickly, and you're in neutral, forget it... (this is just a theoretical example, but I've seen it save people before)

2: You run the risk of rolling in traffic (not good at all)

3: If you're sitting in neutral and
4: If you forget to put it in gear when you go to pull off,
5: If there is an emergency vehicle that you have to move for, putting your car in gear is one less step to botch up
6: While stopped, you're not causing any wear AT ALL on your brake system.

7: You're not saving the transmission from any wear. Your transmission has a torque converter for a reason.
8: gas savings, if any at all, will be very negligible...
9: Brakes don't wear while stopped, however your transmission linkage has plenty of joints/pivots/etc... that wear with use (even slightly)
Shifting the level back and forth dozens of times a day extra is just putting that much wear on all the linkage components, which could eventually cause slop if done enough times a day for long enough.
10: If you put your car in neutral just to roll back a bit before leaving the intersection, so people around you think you have a manual.... you're a ricer idiot that needs to be killed

(....ok, so I couldn't think of a legitimate 10th reason, but I also couldn't stop at only 9 )
Thanks for detailed view. While i was aware of first 5 reasons, TC and others things are good to hear and learn. Will try and avoid from now on.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Received 513 Likes on 420 Posts
my calc teacher told a story about her stopping at a red light in neutral. (she drives stick). Some idiot didn't notice she was stop and ran right into her, she flew into traffic and across hitting the giant gas station sign. Had some nerve damage from the accident in the left hand so she can't feel 3 of her fingers.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
I like to pretend that I drive a 6mt cause I roll back in Neutral a little before driving. I also take my foot off the gas when I shift so it sounds like a 6mt and I even have the shift boot that makes it look like a 6mt.
My next mod? A fake clutch pedal to make it look like a 6mt.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
I like to pretend that I drive a 6mt cause I roll back in Neutral a little before driving. I also take my foot off the gas when I shift so it sounds like a 6mt and I even have the shift boot that makes it look like a 6mt.
My next mod? A fake clutch pedal to make it look like a 6mt.

DO IT!!!

The following users liked this post:
GXXXV X (01-19-2012)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Random Little Question Thread