G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Random Little Question Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GXXXV X
I like to pretend that I drive a 6mt cause I roll back in Neutral a little before driving. I also take my foot off the gas when I shift so it sounds like a 6mt and I even have the shift boot that makes it look like a 6mt.
My next mod? A fake clutch pedal to make it look like a 6mt.
I know a guy that will sit on his brake and give it gas so it sounds like hes revving up with the clutch in, then lets off the brake.. Only the revs never drop to match road speed and the car just lunges forward.. Hes probably the coolest guy I know.

The following users liked this post:
GXXXV X (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Abax84
I know a guy that will sit on his brake and give it gas so it sounds like hes revving up with the clutch in, then lets off the brake.. Only the revs never drop to match road speed and the car just lunges forward.. Hes probably the coolest guy I know.
He sounds pretty cool, I might start doing that too! does he drive a honda?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
+1. That guy is way to cool... he has to be a Honda driver, they're by far the coolest people.

The following users liked this post:
GXXXV X (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 07:25 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
I pretend I have an automatic, I even deleted my clutch pedal.

The following 2 users liked this post by TORETTO:
GXXXV X (01-19-2012), NjMatteSedan (01-19-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by STAP IT
I pretend I have an automatic, I even deleted my clutch pedal.
Reminds me of a guy brought his car into my work and had a bypass for the clutch pedal switch thing. We have a sloped parking lot so we leave cars in gear, needless to say his car went from parking spot to sidewalk before he realized he should check to see if its in gear or not.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
regarding brake instead of P/N while at stop light; While I didnt read Ashly's entire list (got a little long winded) - there are a couple things in the first few points that should be noted...

It's NEVER legal or a good idea to run a red light to avoid a rear end collision. You will be 100% liable for any collision that may end up ensuing and you will receive a citation that is virtually impossible to contest. Simply don't do it.

Having your foot on the brake does not prevent you from being pushed into intersection or car in front of you... I've done boatloads of accident investigations/reviews - applying the brakes simply does not prevent you from moving forward after being rear ended (moving distance is of course dependent upon how fast rear vehicle was traveling, as well as road surface, tire condition, etc)...

This isnt to say that sitting in neutral or park is a good idea, it's not (in most cases)... if you need to "rest your foot" (as someone mentioned in the thread), then you shouldnt be driving - as the amount of pressure and the duration while at stop light isnt nearly as much as while using the brakes during actual driving... if your foot can't manage that minimal amount of pressure, you will likely cause an accident somewhere down the road.

As to whether it causes undue wear on brake components or system... common, really??? That one I'm not even going to address.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GXXXV X
He sounds pretty cool, I might start doing that too! does he drive a honda?
Haha he wishes, its an orange Ford Ranger, prob 10 years old.. He races mustangs and camaros at lights all the time, gets his *** kicked, then meets up with them at the next light and goes for it again.. Like I said, coolest guy I know.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a 04 G Coupe that has been sitting for 6-8 months, I know I should have been starting/driving it around periodically but have been so busy lately that I haven't looked at it in about 4 months, anyway. I finally decided I would take it out today but after charging the battery I am getting a VDC and slip lights, along with the check engine light. Also when I shift into D and release the brake the car will only move about a foot or 2 then stop, it won't coast on it's own.

Also unrelated but the reason I parked it was it was eating up tires.... Not sure what happened but I had the worst alignment issues for a while, I went through about 3 sets of front tires in 2 1/2 months (yes 3 sets) they would wear down in the inner part, start showing wires, then pop. The rest of the tire would have lots of tread so I just let it sit as I had a couple other cars I was using. Any Ideas where to start?

Thanks

Edit: So I just started the car again and it seems to be moving on it's own again, maybe it was just from sitting for too long, I never actually pressed the gas since it kinda freaked me out that it was not moving on it's own, the VDC and slip lights are now gone, Now just the check engine light it on.

Last edited by tmhhhr; 01-20-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:47 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Originally Posted by OCG35
regarding brake instead of P/N while at stop light; While I didnt read Ashly's entire list (got a little long winded) - there are a couple things in the first few points that should be noted...

It's NEVER legal or a good idea to run a red light to avoid a rear end collision. You will be 100% liable for any collision that may end up ensuing and you will receive a citation that is virtually impossible to contest. Simply don't do it.

Having your foot on the brake does not prevent you from being pushed into intersection or car in front of you... I've done boatloads of accident investigations/reviews - applying the brakes simply does not prevent you from moving forward after being rear ended (moving distance is of course dependent upon how fast rear vehicle was traveling, as well as road surface, tire condition, etc)...

This isnt to say that sitting in neutral or park is a good idea, it's not (in most cases)... if you need to "rest your foot" (as someone mentioned in the thread), then you shouldnt be driving - as the amount of pressure and the duration while at stop light isnt nearly as much as while using the brakes during actual driving... if your foot can't manage that minimal amount of pressure, you will likely cause an accident somewhere down the road.

As to whether it causes undue wear on brake components or system... common, really??? That one I'm not even going to address.
I won't argue the legality of it, or that 99.9% of the time, it's a bad idea, but I also know of a specific example when a friend of mine got rear ended, and they were 2nd in line behind a motorcycle. The guy on the bike saw/heard the collision happening, and nailed it through the light (there was very very little traffic) and the collision was bad enough that my friend was pushed into the intersection despite their brakes (as you mentioned) so they would have pretty much wiped out that bike.
I realize that's by far the exception and not the rule, but the point is, if you're in park or neutral, you have no options at all.
And a lot depends on the intersection, I know there are a couple places in Tallahassee that are T shaped intersections, and if I could jump forward/run off onto the "blank" part of the intersection, I would....

....then again, I might be prone to let a car hit me lightly on the back so their insurance could pay for me to get a new decklid

Old 01-20-2012, 07:49 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Originally Posted by tmhhhr
I've got a 04 G Coupe that has been sitting for 6-8 months, I know I should have been starting/driving it around periodically but have been so busy lately that I haven't looked at it in about 4 months, anyway. I finally decided I would take it out today but after charging the battery I am getting a VDC and slip lights, along with the check engine light. Also when I shift into D and release the brake the car will only move about a foot or 2 then stop, it won't coast on it's own.

Also unrelated but the reason I parked it was it was eating up tires.... Not sure what happened but I had the worst alignment issues for a while, I went through about 3 sets of front tires in 2 1/2 months (yes 3 sets) they would wear down in the inner part, start showing wires, then pop. The rest of the tire would have lots of tread so I just let it sit as I had a couple other cars I was using. Any Ideas where to start?

Thanks

Edit: So I just started the car again and it seems to be moving on it's own again, maybe it was just from sitting for too long, I never actually pressed the gas since it kinda freaked me out that it was not moving on it's own, the VDC and slip lights are now gone, Now just the check engine light it on.
Check the brake fluid level, and get your codes scanned.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6300542...in/photostream

Can someone tell me what type of headlights these are, the pic is of the light shining on a wall.

On a 2003.5 G35 sedan...Is it HID or halogen? I cant tell haha.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:50 AM
? = 2B || !2B

^Could be either one really

Old 01-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Received 113 Likes on 103 Posts
for those that regularly take of their front bumper...

1) do you typically leave the screws in at the bottom (connects underpanel to front part of bumper
2) any tricks to getting to the inner most screw that fastens the bumper to the frame. I feel like I pull the hell out of my bumper when trying to reach it. Thank God for poly.
3) any other tricks to keep from damaging it?

Old 01-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramanl
http://www.flickr.com/photos/6300542...in/photostream

Can someone tell me what type of headlights these are, the pic is of the light shining on a wall.

On a 2003.5 G35 sedan...Is it HID or halogen? I cant tell haha.
looks HID

Old 01-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Matzo Ball
Zspeed = no paypal? WTF!
They take pay-pal now

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Random Little Question Thread