G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

5AT Grounding kit question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5AT Grounding kit question

Ok, Looking around I have seen lots of people saying that the grounding kits help with some of the quirkiness of the 5AT transmission. My question is, do you really need the whole kit or would the one wire strung the to the tranny do the same thing. Forgive me if this is stupid. I am a noob electrician

Old 01-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SpForces
Ok, Looking around I have seen lots of people saying that the grounding kits help with some of the quirkiness of the 5AT transmission. My question is, do you really need the whole kit or would the one wire strung the to the tranny do the same thing. Forgive me if this is stupid. I am a noob electrician
Grounding kits = snake oil, don't bother!

Old 01-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I've always added 1 supplemental ground wire to engine to my cars. Since this is the first auto, I would also add one to the trans.

Ground kits add multiple wires. I just do 1 or 2 and make it myself for a couple bucks. I used to be an electrician....so I have wire and crimps and the tool kicking around

Old 01-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
What's the difference between just 1-2 wires vs. 10 wires? I ordered a kit and it comes w/ 10 wires. 1-2 would do the job?

Old 01-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by liljohnny
Based on first-hand personal experience?

Old 01-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
What's the difference between just 1-2 wires vs. 10 wires? I ordered a kit and it comes w/ 10 wires. 1-2 would do the job?

A dozen wires is unnecessary IMHO. Running a ground wire from intake manifold to various point of the engine seems overkill considering the entire engine is metal and bolted together with metal fasteners. Most sensors on the engine carry their own grounds, so grounding the block really is so the spark can fire from the center electrode to the aluminum head. A good block or head ground would make a difference here. Most of the engine is aluminum, filled with coolant that also conducts electricity well, so all that I feel is needed is a solid block to chassis ground.

I've usually done one solid engine ground from block to chassis and another solid ground from trans to chassis. (on cars with electronic trans)

Supplemental grounding doesn't hurt at all, so doesn't hurt anything to do it. I just don't feel all 10 wires are needed.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 01-04-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 458 Likes on 237 Posts
I have sold almost 400 kits and the feedback is 100% positive. DO you think THAT MANY people can be fooled?

Read the reviews and PM me if you are interested.

https://g35driver.com/forums/reviews...es-review.html

Old 01-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
X
Im still waiting on a solution to get the grounding wire to the trans on the AWD, as the front driveshaft seems to block the "suggested mounting point"... any help sean?

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...ing-wires.html

Old 01-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
Yup!

Old 01-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
Originally Posted by SxExCx
I have sold almost 400 kits and the feedback is 100% positive. DO you think THAT MANY people can be fooled?

Read the reviews and PM me if you are interested.

https://g35driver.com/forums/reviews...es-review.html
How any wires is your kit?

Old 01-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Well more wouldn't hurt, but it's unnecessary IMHO. Running a ground wire from intake manifold to various point of the engine seems overkill considering the entire engine is metal and bolted together with metal fasteners. Most sensors on the engine carry their own grounds, so grounding the block really is so the spark can fire from the center electrode to the aluminum head. A good block or head ground would make a difference here. Most of the engine is aluminum, filled with coolant that also conducts electricity well, so all that I feel is needed is a solid block to chassis ground.

I've usually done one solid engine ground from block to chassis and another solid ground from trans to chassis. (on cars with electronic trans)

Supplemental grounding doesn't hurt at all, so doesn't hurt anything to do it. I just don't feel all 10 wires are needed.

Pretty much what he said. I opted to make my own grounding wires because I was skeptical and didnt want to spend $100 on something that I can make for under $20.

I forget how many wires I made, but as Mustang5L5 said you dont need 10 wires running all over the place. Just re-enforce the main grounds and you are good to go. I have noticed quicker/more responsive shifting in my 5AT and thats what I wanted to accomplish.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by 4D05G35
Pretty much what he said. I opted to make my own grounding wires because I was skeptical and didnt want to spend $100 on something that I can make for under $20.

I forget how many wires I made, but as Mustang5L5 said you dont need 10 wires running all over the place. Just re-enforce the main grounds and you are good to go. I have noticed quicker/more responsive shifting in my 5AT and thats what I wanted to accomplish.
Exactly. The point i am trying to make is that they work, but you don't need dozens of wires. You don't really need to run a supplemental ground from the intake to the timing cover, or head to timing cover. Just do block to chassis and trans to chassis. If you wanted to go overkill, you could even do individual heads to block/chassis and maybe a new battery cable. But usually parts mechanically fastened together are grounded pretty well.

A quick search of eBay and you can find plenty of pre made wires in different wire sizes and lengths. Just figure out what mount points you want to use and estimate how long of a wire you'll need. I prefer 2 or 4 ga wire.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 01-02-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Exactly. I used 4g wire. I opted to just buy a few ft of cable, connectors, and shrink so I could make them the exact length I wanted. I wanted them to follow the existing wires and concealed nicely.

As you said, you can add more, it wont hurt, but it also wont benifit you. It just makes for more wires to hide.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by liljohnny
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
There is some merit to what liljohnny said, Only way to find out is to measure the stock wires resistance + how much of a voltage drop at the different stock grounding points.

So far I do not think anyone has done a thorough scientific testing of the stock grounding wires/points.

Until then, I wont be spending money.

Last edited by thescreensavers; 01-02-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
There is some merit to what liljohnny said, Only way to find out is to measure the stock wires resistance + how much of a voltage drop at the different stock grounding points.

So far I do not think anyone has done a thorough scientific testing of the stock grounding wires/points.

Until then, I wont be spending money.
I wouldn't say it's snake oil. They certainly don't hurt at all But but if you understand how vehicles are usually wired, you can see you don't need 10-15 wires. In fact, I'd bet that ONE good block to chassis ground would be sufficient and improve shift function as well. I don't even think a trans ground is needed either. Most engine and trans electrical doesn't ground to the engine/trans, it grounds to the chassis, so improving the chassis to block ground will help reduce resistance as most vehicle batteries are grounded to the engine block.

One good block to chassis ground wire would run you $10 off eBay.

Of course, it would help to make sure all your current electrical connections are good and clean. This includes all current grounds and wiring as well as battery terminals and cables.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 01-02-2011 at 08:01 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 5AT Grounding kit question