G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Who's Had Their Steering Wheel Replaced Due To Trim Peeling/Chipping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mrclowny
I can be wrong but I think this only affects 07 G35's... or should I say mostly 07's...

I have an 08.. and no scratches on my steering wheel...but then again, I don't purposely sctracth it with my nails....

Scratched trims affected are models '07 to mid 09's sedans.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just purchased my 2007 sedan a week ago and it has the peeling on my steering wheel as well. not sure if they would replace it, but they did replace the door handle trim that was peeling.

i think im just gonna peel the whole thing off lol

Old 12-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
it affects '08 as well. i have my steering wheel replaced under warranty for that.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know what to say.. Mine is perfect after 4 years.... But then again, I take care of my stuff really well.... What are you guys doing to the steering wheel (08 models) to get em scratches? Are you all wearing rings on ur fingers?

Old 12-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by mrclowny
I don't know what to say.. Mine is perfect after 4 years.... But then again, I take care of my stuff really well.... What are you guys doing to the steering wheel (08 models) to get em scratches? Are you all wearing rings on ur fingers?
They're very easy easy to scratch. Accidently slipping your thumbs from the buttons into the trim is one way. Wearing rings is another way as well. Hell even applying a little bit of pressure into the paint with the nail will cause it to scratch.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
on my old steering wheel, the service guy can just scratch the finish off with finger nail, that's how easy the finish will come off.

if yours is like that, then might as well replace with it

Old 12-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ah that sucks for me, i dont think my 2007 has warranty

might just scratch the whole thing off and leave it grey...

Old 12-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had mine replaced today without a fight. They did that and addressed some rattles--getting the most out of my warranty with 2 months left.

Happy customer here. New wheel feels like a new G

Old 12-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
I waited on my local dealer for over a month for an answer on replacement and she finally said she couldn't do it. I then called Infiniti Customer Affairs and told them about my wheel. She created a case number for me and told me that someone would review my complaint.

Today Infiniti called me back and pretty much said I'm SOL since i'm out of warranty. I tried pleading my case but she just kept apologizing and said that they cannot good will the steering wheel. She said if I had a major mechanical malfunction it would be a different story.

Here is what my Steering wheel looks like today

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What are my options now? It's an 07 G35x

Has anyone just scratched it all off? Does it look decent?

Has anyone plasti dipped?

Old 12-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
You can take off the trim, sand it down, and paint it again to freshen them up. Or you can always purchase a new steering wheel which is ridiculously expensive.

I would just repaint the trim. IMO you must be a lil rough on them to get in that shape in the first place. No reason to spend the $$ for a new one to get trashed again over time.

Don't plastidip. Prep and paint properly.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just took my car in today. They put in an order for a new steering wheel that should arrive Monday. Beshoff Infiniti gets a thumbs up from me.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by J2S2M
IMO you must be a lil rough on them to get in that shape in the first place.
Negative. I recently purchased the car pre-owned and it came this way. Also, there is no need to be rough with the paint as I can take my nail and lightly scratch it off with no effort. I did this as a test in a small spot and was dismayed how easily it comes off. Almost as if I had put paint remover.

thanks for the tips

Old 12-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
So true, that stuff peels easily. If you wear rings or have nails it's a rap. I only got mine replaced because its was a CPO, plus I purchased the Elite warranty. Got both my steering wheel and drivers door panel, as well as cluster guage trim all replaced free. Pics of before and after are posted on here as well. Not this thread but another

Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by willdogs

What are my options now? It's an 07 G35x

Has anyone just scratched it all off? Does it look decent?

Has anyone plasti dipped?
As was mentioned, the best option is to remove the steering wheel, pop the trim off, strip and repaint it. It will make all the difference in the world and will not reoccur if you can just do even a reasonable job of it. There was a problem with their original paint and, since you won't be using it, you should not see any repeat of what happened there. Lots of tutorials around on proper painting techniques for plastics (ie. I would not use plastidip!) Also, I recently saw another thread where someone detailed the removal of that trim piece, so you should be able to find it on here with a little searching. G/L

Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by willdogs
Negative. I recently purchased the car pre-owned and it came this way. Also, there is no need to be rough with the paint as I can take my nail and lightly scratch it off with no effort. I did this as a test in a small spot and was dismayed how easily it comes off. Almost as if I had put paint remover.

thanks for the tips
I totally understand what you are referring to. I also had the same issues with my 08 sedan. I had to literally run my fingernail across the trim in front of my service advisor to show him the problem.

Only reason I mentioned that your car took some extra wear/tear is because your mt fuji on your steering wheel is also badly scuffed up. IMO that does not happen from everyday use. Someone got a lil careless and brushed something against it to cause that damage.

Trust me. I am not trying to blame you because ultimately it's Nissan's fault for trying to cheap out on some parts in a 40k vehicle. Either way, the previous owner of your pre-owned vehicle just seemed to be extra careless with the car. That's all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who's Had Their Steering Wheel Replaced Due To Trim Peeling/Chipping?