G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Who's Had Their Steering Wheel Replaced Due To Trim Peeling/Chipping?

Old 07-19-2011, 04:31 AM
xdr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MTLG
I'm in Canada and I will begin by contacting customer service tomorrow to try and get this resolved ... The dealer did not want to replace it ...
I'm in Ontario myself and I recently bought a used G that has extended factory warranty. I inquired with Infiniti Canada if they would replace such items under the extended Infiniti Protection Plan and was surprised to hear that they would. A month later a couple of dealers told me no way that stuff is covered under the extended and quoted me over $1k for the wheel and about $600 in parts for the door trim.

However Infiniti Canada once again told me that the extended warranty IPP plan is essentially an extension of the factory warranty. At this point I'm debating if I want to raise some hell up the ladder through to corporate to get this crap sorted out. I would've shopped for one that still had the non extended factory warranty if they had not promised me that it would be covered.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Wannabe6MT is there some TSB or any documentation you needed to have this replaced? My local dealership said that they won't do it.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:06 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Have the wheel 'diagnosed' then call up Infiniti consumer affairs and ask them about it. If your under warranty, they will authorize the repair no questions asked.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FWIW, I disassembled mine (easy) then removed the factory rubberized coating and resprayed that part with Duplicolor "bumper spray" in about 6-8 light "mist" coats. I'll snap a picture today, but it looks just like OE, but is much more durable.

My dealer pretty much laughed when I asked about replacement of the wheel plastic and the door pulls. They all look like brand new now.

The following users liked this post:
GXXXV X (07-19-2011)
Old 07-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
^They wont replace unless you have warranty.

Got my new one today. Feels so nice. Wheel is like a brand new G!
That varies by dealer, some will as a goodwill repair, and some won't. I had no problems and I was out of warranty. I did have extended warranty but it doesn't cover trim pieces so it was more of a goodwill repair.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalsolo
FWIW, I disassembled mine (easy) then removed the factory rubberized coating and resprayed that part with Duplicolor "bumper spray" in about 6-8 light "mist" coats.
how do you do it? does it just snap off?

Old 09-23-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm in canada, called and explain my problem.
Infiniti denied repairs ... ( i'm on my original warranty )
Now i'm writing them a letter ... Will see how that goes ...

Sucks that in Canada they don't accept that this is a problem and we should be treated the same as in the USA ....

Old 09-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalsolo
FWIW, I disassembled mine (easy) then removed the factory rubberized coating and resprayed that part with Duplicolor "bumper spray" in about 6-8 light "mist" coats. I'll snap a picture today, but it looks just like OE, but is much more durable.

My dealer pretty much laughed when I asked about replacement of the wheel plastic and the door pulls. They all look like brand new now.
Please for the love of god take those pics. Mines is looking so baaaaaad i was gonna do the same as you did but wasnt sure of which spray to use.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is an 07 with 55k mi. You think Infiniti would replace the steering wheel and/or door trim pieces?

How much is the extended warranty?

Old 09-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
In my 2 months of Infinity ownership i have noticed a few sad things...

Quality of parts vs cost of overall vehicle is CRAP!

Interior- Looks great!..AT FIRST...but after 49K miles....the driver seat bolster is starting to crack, the dash is starting to peel around the top of the speedo,where the dash meets the center console on pass side is peeling as well, steering wheel and door handles peel. Also, when i say the dash peels, i mean its coming unglued, the weather stripping is starting to fail and wind noise is starting to be heard from the driver door. The stripping is also starting to come apart from the door and i had to re-insert it once already. The automatic windows work when they want to. Once in a while the front driver and rear pass. dont work on auto. Seat memory buttons stopped working as well.
The leather coming over the leg adjuster keeps coming apart from the bottom of the seat, luckily it looks like it just clips back in place. If using a automatic car wash, water drips through the sunroof..TYPICAL OF NISSAN CARS EQUIPPED WITH SUNROOFS!

Exterior wise- The paint on front and rear bumpers is starting to crack.

Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head. Its kind of pathetic for this to be happening to such nice cars. I still love the car none the same. At least my engine is still under warranty..then again, its the only thing that seems to be great.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by muyrec
Please for the love of god take those pics. Mines is looking so baaaaaad i was gonna do the same as you did but wasnt sure of which spray to use.
Just try a bit of searching. This subject has been discussed numerous times in numerous threads, complete with pictures and products used.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:02 PM
I had mine replaced. Took a bit of persuading but once I convinced them to ask Infiniti corporate they were able to take care of it.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by J2S2M
The chippy interior was addressed in 08+ models. OP probably has an 07 sedan. 07 was the year when everyone exprienced chipping, scratches, and scuffs with their interior trim parts.
Do you get better upgraded parts when they replace or will you get the same one again? I'm taking mine in this week and I will be on my 2nd steering wheel

Old 09-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by NationsMostWanted
Do you get better upgraded parts when they replace or will you get the same one again? I'm taking mine in this week and I will be on my 2nd steering wheel
On my 07 they replaced the steering wheel and door panel with the newer parts. Six months later, absolutely no issues!!

Good Luck!!

Old 09-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff T
On my 07 they replaced the steering wheel and door panel with the newer parts. Six months later, absolutely no issues!!

Good Luck!!
I'll be on my third when actually.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who's Had Their Steering Wheel Replaced Due To Trim Peeling/Chipping?