Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

350Z HR Y-pipe installed on a 2003 G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by vstypicals
Anyway, I found this at Harbor Freight for $4.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97177
I have this one but it was made by snap-on, you dont want to know how much it cost me.... it wasn't anywhere close to $4 tho.

this design works great on some cars and not so much on others due to leverage and angles. sometimes a wrench works wonders .

Old 03-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll have my HR Y-pipe and coupe middy on in a week or two, and I already have the HKS. I have a question for those of you with this combo. One thing that has bothered me about the HKS is that the sound totally disappears after 4k rpms; after that it's all engine noise. Does the sound with the y-pipe and midpipe continue into the higher rpm range or just get louder down low?

Old 03-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by UmassG35
I'll have my HR Y-pipe and coupe middy on in a week or two, and I already have the HKS. I have a question for those of you with this combo. One thing that has bothered me about the HKS is that the sound totally disappears after 4k rpms; after that it's all engine noise. Does the sound with the y-pipe and midpipe continue into the higher rpm range or just get louder down low?
From inside my car (windows up) with all my listed mods minus the Revup airbox:

Old 03-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the clip. It seemed like the exhaust note was still audible almost all the way to redline/shift point, is this correct? Or is that sound attributed to the z-tube/spacer?

Note sure if I'm going to pick up a z-tube or not. Will definitely be getting a spacer but not for a month or two.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Scored the Revup airbox yesterday!

Old 03-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Nice congrats Naught! How much did it set you back and have you installed it yet?

Right now I'm in an internal war between wheel spacers vs revup airbox since I've got a hookup for under 100 for all 4 (25MM). Decisions decisions lol

Thanks for the clip. It seemed like the exhaust note was still audible almost all the way to redline/shift point, is this correct? Or is that sound attributed to the z-tube/spacer?

Note sure if I'm going to pick up a z-tube or not. Will definitely be getting a spacer but not for a month or two.
Dave thanks for the clip. Mine also sounds like that if I get on it! Here's a couple small clips I recorded last month when I had my Berk HFCs installed. Umass, zTube brings out more of that engine sound we love so much. Its also less restrictive sound wise vs gTube = more sporty induction engine sound into the cabin.

An MD spacer is a MUST have mod. Couple that with an HR Ypipe plus HFCs and now you're cooking! God I can't wait till the weekend to install my 3.5 FD Pumpkin sitting around here.

I digress...on with the clips!!!!

I'm not opening it up since I'm near a school but you can hear my mods working together nicely!

(Windows open btw)

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i313.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid313.photobucket.com/albums/ll365/tiguy99/Berk%20HFC%20clips/MOV00404.flv">

one more in a parking lot....caution...its really short

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i313.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid313.photobucket.com/albums/ll365/tiguy99/Berk%20HFC%20clips/MOV00403.flv">

and finally...me revving in the garage of my building (forgive the echo)

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i313.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid313.photobucket.com/albums/ll365/tiguy99/Berk%20HFC%20clips/MOV00405.flv">

Any questions....please ask!!!

Last edited by tiguy99; 03-16-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

The exhaust note is there from start to finish. It's a far sportier sounding exhaust. The HR y-pipe and 05/06 midpipe teamed with the 03/04 muffler can is ideal if you want a good bit more sound with no drone and minimal interior ruckus.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by tiguy99
An MD spacer is a MUST have mod. Couple that with an HR Ypipe plus HFCs and now you're cooking! God I can't wait till the weekend to install my 3.5 FD Pumpkin sitting around here.
Again thanks for the clips. I'll definitely be getting a spacer soon. I've spent a few hundred on mods and maintenance this month while trying to save for when I move this summer, so technically, I have the cash...dun dun dun Gotta be strong. I LOVE the sound of the HFCs. If the drone that everyone seems to experience with the coupe mid/HKS combo bothers me I may switch the midpipe back to stock and go for the Berk's. Personally, I don't think I'll mind the drone, but I'll be a little self conscious (if that makes sense) when I have passengers.

Are the HFCs easy to find used? I just did a quick search on google and damn they're expensive!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by tiguy99
Nice congrats Naught! How much did it set you back and have you installed it yet?

Right now I'm in an internal war between wheel spacers vs revup airbox since I've got a hookup for under 100 for all 4 (25MM). Decisions decisions lol

65 shipped from a member on the site. Dont have it yet but hopefully Sunday ill have a chance.

You should get the airbox....and join the club

Old 03-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by naughty240
65 shipped from a member on the site. Dont have it yet but hopefully Sunday ill have a chance.

You should get the airbox....and join the club
Most definitely! Only reason why its not in my sig below is because I reached the character limit lol

Trust me its on the list.

Short term....Revup Airbox, 25MM Wheel Spacers, black roof

decisions decisions lol

Again thanks for the clips. I'll definitely be getting a spacer soon. I've spent a few hundred on mods and maintenance this month while trying to save for when I move this summer, so technically, I have the cash...dun dun dun Gotta be strong. I LOVE the sound of the HFCs. If the drone that everyone seems to experience with the coupe mid/HKS combo bothers me I may switch the midpipe back to stock and go for the Berk's. Personally, I don't think I'll mind the drone, but I'll be a little self conscious (if that makes sense) when I have passengers.

Are the HFCs easy to find used? I just did a quick search on google and damn they're expensive!
Good news is if you keep your eyes peeled on the exhaust classified section on here and my350z, you'll come across a set.
Check out the vendor classifieds as well. I scored my new Berk HFCs on My350z back in January for a good price (definitely under 400 for sure)

Just keep checking and don't give up. A month ago a set of Kinetix sold like Jimmy Johns fast for 100 freakin dollars

Try to score deals! That's the way I'm soothing (cough justifying) my mod addiction right now lol

Old 03-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah I think this may go on my list of things to snag if I find a great deal (along with some sort of OEM wheels with good, preferably same size all-around, tires). Definitely going used. So much easier to justify. I found good deals this month on a midpipe and y-pipe and also got my HKS. Along with some jack stands and all the fluids, filters etc. associated with the 60k service I'll be starting this weekend, I'd like to say I'm done for a little bit, but I doubt it. Before this all I had was tints and clear corners and the bug has now officially bitten!

Old 03-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
From inside my car (windows up) with all my listed mods minus the Revup airbox:
Any insight on what I suggested, Dave? The 05-06 sedan Y pipe looks and sounds VERY similair. I'll get pics up as soon as I can figure out how to make them not be Corel Draw type files

Old 03-17-2009, 07:22 PM
What the ****?

So my HR y-pipe (from a G37) arrived today. I got home from work all excited, even though I knew I'd never be able to get the old bolts off to get it on by myself. I got under the car anyway to check out the bolts and to line up the new pipe and make sure it would fit. What do I see when I get under there!?!? Ummm, a y-pipe that is identical to the one laying on the friggen ground!! The pipe that's currently installed on my car appears to be an HR pipe. It's identical to the one on the right in Dave's picture on the first page and looks the same as the one I paid for, just older.

Any idea what gives? I find it very, very unlikely that the previous owner of the car swapped this out, but how else is this possible? I mean it isn't. And although this is the only way I've known the car, it certainly doesn't seem to exhibit any of the characteristics (sound wise) that people seem to report.

And I'd post pics if I could, but it's dark out and I only have my iPhone.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
On an 04?? Really!?

Like I said, the one I have now came off an Revup not an HR and it also looks identical!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Why did you put a revup Y on your sedan? Aren't they identical?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 350Z HR Y-pipe installed on a 2003 G35