Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Use the ASWC - no soldering of resistors required with it.

I don't see a trim ring included with the JVC, so you'll want to pick up the scosche universal ddin trim ring from the shopping list as well.

With that unit, to get iPod video, you'll need the KS-U29 - http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...VC-KS-U29.html - but I think for audio, you're fine with only the USB cable.

Old 06-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian sellers?

Thanks a lot for the reply! I'll definitely add the trim ring also.

Do you have any Canadian sellers to recommend? Crutchfield's prices seem a bit high and they don't carry the PAC ROEMNIS2.

CB55

Old 06-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I bought a lot of mine through amazon, otherwise, I'd just find a friend south of the border to make a visit to.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I might just hack up the factory bezel since it looks like the JDM leaves a gap also. My unit has a trim ring that can be trimmed to fit different openings. You wouldn't happen to know what steering wheel adapter I need for an Eclipse AVN would you? Crutchfield doesn't have Eclipse listed for any of them.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:26 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Sorry about not following up on this one.

Remove the harnesses completely, line the wires up nicely and take pictures of them so I can tell how they're wired, and maybe I can see what is wrong.

No worries, but yeah I totally gave up on it lol. Spent way too much time trying to get it to work. I think the unstable FM connection is due to me forgetting to solder one of the wires together, but I was busy with the steering wheel controls.. I went to that one audio shop and they really only use stuff made by PAC so I just ordered one from Amazon like a few days ago and probably just going to have them wire it together for me then I'll just put it back together so hopefully that won't cost me too much.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by crazy8ship
I think I might just hack up the factory bezel since it looks like the JDM leaves a gap also. My unit has a trim ring that can be trimmed to fit different openings. You wouldn't happen to know what steering wheel adapter I need for an Eclipse AVN would you? Crutchfield doesn't have Eclipse listed for any of them.
The Metra Axxess ASWC works with it just fine, and you don't have to solder any resistors to make it work like the PAC SWI-series units.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks! I will have to start looking for the JDM AC Controller. I wanted to post a WTB add in the classifieds, but for some reason I can not start a thread nor reply to any classified adds for a week now.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wrathernaut,

Can I get your opinion on the AVH-P3300BT vs. the AVH-P4300DVD? I can't decide between the two HU's (although I am somewhat leaning towards the 4300). Does one have an edge over the other? Any deal breakers? Thank you!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by SoFloVan
Wrathernaut,

Can I get your opinion on the AVH-P3300BT vs. the AVH-P4300DVD? I can't decide between the two HU's (although I am somewhat leaning towards the 4300). Does one have an edge over the other? Any deal breakers? Thank you!
Bluetooth is the deal breaker. The add-on for the 4300 is so expensive you might as well get the x930bt and have navigation too. The other thing of note is the front usb on the 3300.

I'd still do the 3300. You won't miss the slight difference in screen size.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Wrathernaut, do you know if the 05 ac control has the same plug as the 03? I know the controller will not fit without modification but I just do not like the look of the button. I like the **** look better.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:59 AM
Okay so I finally got the steering wheel controls working today, but with the PAC SWI. There's one last thing and I don't know if I'm going to get to it anytime soon because everytime I take the dash apart it's like something else breaks, but anyways yeah.

The FM stations are still pretty unstable. Any idea what I might of missed? Didn't get a chance to look at it yet because I thought the place I went to took care of that.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by crazy8ship
Wrathernaut, do you know if the 05 ac control has the same plug as the 03? I know the controller will not fit without modification but I just do not like the look of the button. I like the **** look better.
I just compared the two, the M38 connector that plugs into the A/C control board is identical, with the same functions on the same wires. However, the circuit board communicates all the climate controls (except for defrost) through a pair of communication wires. According to the manuals, the voltage range and report rate over these wires are the same, but that doesn't mean they are sending identical data. I would guess they do, but there's no guarantee.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by prinny
Okay so I finally got the steering wheel controls working today, but with the PAC SWI. There's one last thing and I don't know if I'm going to get to it anytime soon because everytime I take the dash apart it's like something else breaks, but anyways yeah.

The FM stations are still pretty unstable. Any idea what I might of missed? Didn't get a chance to look at it yet because I thought the place I went to took care of that.
My guess would be that the antenna amplifier didn't get powered, since they probably thought that since you don't have a motorized-power antenna, they didn't need to hook up that wire.

Our cars have the antenna integrated to the rear window glass, and utilize an antenna amplifier to compensate, so that power antenna/antenna amp wire needs a +12v source when the radio is on.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:34 AM
I just compared the two, the M38 connector that plugs into the A/C control board is identical, with the same functions on the same wires. However, the circuit board communicates all the climate controls (except for defrost) through a pair of communication wires. According to the manuals, the voltage range and report rate over these wires are the same, but that doesn't mean they are sending identical data. I would guess they do, but there's no guarantee.
Thanks, I will order an 05 and let you know if it works or not.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:15 PM
My guess would be that the antenna amplifier didn't get powered, since they probably thought that since you don't have a motorized-power antenna, they didn't need to hook up that wire.

Our cars have the antenna integrated to the rear window glass, and utilize an antenna amplifier to compensate, so that power antenna/antenna amp wire needs a +12v source when the radio is on.

I probably missed that, but dang wish I could remember the color of the wires that I need off the top of my head..

I think there's a red +12v accessory wire, but it's already being used for something else... is it still okay if I splice that wire and the attenna amp wire and solder both together even though it's being used?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Wrathernaut's Double-Din Installation FAQ, Shopping and Resource List