G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy?" Sedan Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, just trying to get a list together of future mods and a suggested order in doing them. Keep in mind this would be on a daily driver with no interest in FI or any track driving at this time.

Currently have DG '06X with 15% all around, Z-tube, K&N drop in, and Stillen Gen2. Planning to do 5/16th spacer next (now that it finally got warm again) and most likely a tune to follow.

After that I was considering a few things but not 100% sure of their noticability/importance plus would love to hear other options. My few things were: grounding kit, strut bar, and maybe high-flow cats. Also considering the easier cosmetics like switching to LEDs, clear side-marker, maybe the small trunk lip spoiler.

I dont have the budget currently to go with rims, especially if it usually means lowering the car at the same time to do it right, but I'd love to get around to that someday too.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Want to lower my G.

What's up guys. So I want to lower my car. I guess you could say this is 65% for esthetics and 35% to improve performance.

I do not want to spend close to $2000 on a coilover kit. So from what I know, I am left with two options

Option 1
-Lowering Springs
-Upgraded stocks and struts.
-camber kit
I found these
http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...Fcuh4AodixUAMw

Question:
Supposedly, these are "shocks & struts". Is this true. Could I just buy lowering springs and 4 of those puppies?

Option 2: (I know it says coupe)
http://www.autocityimports.com/0307-...it-p-9048.html

Questions:
I've read a few reviews where Tein coilovers made their ride bouncy. Is this common?
Would this be a better or worse idea than option 1?

Old 05-17-2013, 12:48 AM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
what about looking for used coilovers? you can find plenty

Old 06-07-2013, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by MrTBahgs
Hey guys, just trying to get a list together of future mods and a suggested order in doing them. Keep in mind this would be on a daily driver with no interest in FI or any track driving at this time.

Currently have DG '06X with 15% all around, Z-tube, K&N drop in, and Stillen Gen2. Planning to do 5/16th spacer next (now that it finally got warm again) and most likely a tune to follow.

After that I was considering a few things but not 100% sure of their noticability/importance plus would love to hear other options. My few things were: grounding kit, strut bar, and maybe high-flow cats. Also considering the easier cosmetics like switching to LEDs, clear side-marker, maybe the small trunk lip spoiler.

I dont have the budget currently to go with rims, especially if it usually means lowering the car at the same time to do it right, but I'd love to get around to that someday too.
Anyone able to chime in on this for me? As an update from my original post, the spacer is in the mail now and I'm still thinking tune after, but I'd love to hear a comment or two on whats ideal to go with next.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:56 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
I'd go with high flow cats because of their legality and power gains. I've heard Fast Intentions resonated HFC's are the best and give off no drone, but does provide a deeper sound to the exhaust.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
Do the cats before you tune, fast intentions are a good choice.
I'm not sure anyone could tell the diffeence between a car with or with a strut bar especially an X. Are sway bars and end links available, that would be a better upgrade, even poly bushings help more than a strut bar.
The grounding kits seem to help, especially for AT, I have one, it certainly didn't hurt anything but I would do other upgrade first.
What ever floats you boat on the outside, that stuffs all personal taste, do what you like unless it involves more than one can of plastidip.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by jdubin94
What's up guys. So I want to lower my car. I guess you could say this is 65% for esthetics and 35% to improve performance.

I do not want to spend close to $2000 on a coilover kit. So from what I know, I am left with two options

Option 1
-Lowering Springs
-Upgraded stocks and struts.
-camber kit
I found these
http://www.autoanything.com/suspensi...Fcuh4AodixUAMw

Question:
Supposedly, these are "shocks & struts". Is this true. Could I just buy lowering springs and 4 of those puppies?

Option 2: (I know it says coupe)
http://www.autocityimports.com/0307-...it-p-9048.html

Questions:
I've read a few reviews where Tein coilovers made their ride bouncy. Is this common?
Would this be a better or worse idea than option 1?
If you are on a budget, I suggest you go with option A. Teins aren't great for handling, they aren't even comfortable, and they don't take a lot of abuse at all so unless you drive slow everywhere you go, they won't last as long as option A and are more expensive to replace.

The two piece strut and spring combo will perform better, have a more comfortable ride, and if something goes out, that part will be cheaper to replace.

If all you want are looks and don't care about handling or comfort, then the coilovers may be the better choice since they offer adjustable height.

Originally Posted by MrTBahgs
Anyone able to chime in on this for me? As an update from my original post, the spacer is in the mail now and I'm still thinking tune after, but I'd love to hear a comment or two on whats ideal to go with next.
Unless you plan on building the motor or boost, HFCs are the last mod really worth doing before the tune. You can always do headers, but they really aren't worth the cost and hassle to install, and believe me, they were a pain to install.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:17 PM
You can never go wrong with Mod Chip/ECU Tuning.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My question is what kind of gains will you get with an ECU chip. I have heard some good and some bad about them. I would like to do that myself but don't want to be a waste. Any suggestions? Also if need to change to my cats and I'm not building for boost can't I still go with HFCs?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Dont get a chip, get uprev, if you are not going for FI I would think a tune is a waste for you^^
Do the basic bolt ons and your ecu will adjust fine
Plenum spacer
Intake
Exhaust
Etc...

Old 06-22-2013, 03:53 PM
You can take it to a shop to tune it for you.. Just tell them what you want.. I seen a video of uprev on how you can create launch control using the cruise control. **** crazy!

Old 06-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Does anyone know whats the power gains?

Old 06-22-2013, 09:01 PM
It depends.. You could gain between 15 to 30 bhp. With just tuning.. Maybe even more.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Wow that's nice. I was just on eBay and saw some one for 175& the other for 699. Has anyone here bought one and how much did you spend?

By the way thanks for all the info it's helping me alot.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 PM
i have got and 06 g35 6 spd. manual w/ jwt pop charger and some type of aftermarket exhaust and i am looking to add a lil more power. i was thinking of getting a programmer but don't really know what kind to get. any advice?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL "What Mods Should I Buy?" Sedan Thread