G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Random Little Question Thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got an 03' G35 coupe with the factory 18's i believe they are and the paint has started to chip really bad i've been wanting black rims but haven't had the money to buy rims yet, i've been thinking of sanding them down and painting them myself. Does anyone have any recommendations to a type of paint i should buy, could i spray paint them black or would it look too bad? Ideas are greatly appreciated.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by uhohoreo
I've got an 03' G35 coupe with the factory 18's i believe they are and the paint has started to chip really bad i've been wanting black rims but haven't had the money to buy rims yet, i've been thinking of sanding them down and painting them myself. Does anyone have any recommendations to a type of paint i should buy, could i spray paint them black or would it look too bad? Ideas are greatly appreciated.
Searched "paint wheels diy" into generic search

https://g35driver.com/forums/search....rchid=13378279

Old 04-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
anyone have a very low metal screech noise ONLY happens at 1-5mph or so. happens like one whole rotation of the tire. Sounds like rear brakes but this is with and without brakes applied. It does not happen at 5+ mph.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:24 PM
I can haz potato?

Received 1,019 Likes on 793 Posts
sabertooth tiger
Originally Posted by Abax84
Searched "paint wheels diy" into generic search

https://g35driver.com/forums/search....rchid=13378279
Weee

https://g35driver.com/forums/body-in...em-wheels.html

Old 04-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Awesome thanks!

Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Hey guys!, I have a couple things i wanted to bring up, I noticed when I drive my G35 (06 AT Coupe) When I WOT I hear a slight cranking sound, which me and my friend tried to locate and we think its the belt pulleys, no squeak just like a click then a cranking sound, I don't notice any problems when i hear it happen just wanna see if anybody could help, also this second part might be stupid to ask but, im soon buying a 5/16 plenum spacer and was wondering if i should or could get a A/F ratio gauge setup without going overboard too soon, thats all for now hope to hear a response

Old 04-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Abax84
Yeah the wheel seems to "shimmy" over bumps. The wheel wants to pull itself out of my hands at times it what it feels like. Its not so drastic that its scary or hard to drive, just didnt used to be this way. She has 90k miles on her right now too, so im sure something down there is due for replacing anyway.
Yup better check that out. If there's no noise I'd guess at tie-rods ends, but a proper inspection is definately necessary. Get it fixed before you scrub out your tires, or have a failure. These things can happen slow or fast, and you've already run the clock down a bit, so to speak.

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
anyone have a very low metal screech noise ONLY happens at 1-5mph or so. happens like one whole rotation of the tire. Sounds like rear brakes but this is with and without brakes applied. It does not happen at 5+ mph.
If you can isolate it to the front/rear by having a friend walk beside the car during the squeal, that will tell the tale.

It's probably either a brake dust sheild, low brake pad, or the emergency brake shoe.

The following users liked this post:
Abax84 (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 04:34 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
^Tie rods, bushings, and ball joints.

Anyone have the part # for OEM E-Brake shoes?

Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 AM
Worn bushings won't cause that stiffness

Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by TunerMax

If you can isolate it to the front/rear by having a friend walk beside the car during the squeal, that will tell the tale.

It's probably either a brake dust sheild, low brake pad, or the emergency brake shoe.
Its come and go. the 2 times i had a friend out there, noise isn't there. It does happen randomly at slow speeds, sometimes when i'm coasting to a stop sign/ red light. Or when i'm pulling into the alley.

Yea i steped on the e brake a couple of times to get that going, i know its now low pads. Could be a slight brake drag. Once i have time i'll go thru everything.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Its come and go. the 2 times i had a friend out there, noise isn't there. It does happen randomly at slow speeds, sometimes when i'm coasting to a stop sign/ red light. Or when i'm pulling into the alley.

Yea i steped on the e brake a couple of times to get that going, i know its now low pads. Could be a slight brake drag. Once i have time i'll go thru everything.
No disrespect intended, but how do you "know" this?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Worn bushings won't cause that stiffness
Bad CR bushings will cause a bit of wander at highway speeds. Im due for new ones...

OP, check out something called "bump steer".

Last edited by GreenPenguin; 05-01-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:44 PM
yup but they clunk. And he's experiencing stiff steering, which points away from compresison/sway bar bushings completely.

Not to say they're in tip top shape, just that they're not causing this particular issue.

The following users liked this post:
Abax84 (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 04:10 PM
No disrespect intended, but how do you "know" this?
none taken.

lol, yes I KNOW.

Because i did rear brakes about 1.5 years ago,(not saying they cant wear down that fast) but i can see a good amount of pad life still there, I would go and say 65-75% pad life still there. On both inners and outers because last i check was in the fall when i put on winter wheels. Pads are at the bottom of my list.

However if the calipers are SLIGHTLY dragging then maybe that could be it, but since my pads are not worn, i dont want to suggest that. I'll have some time in the up coming weeks to seriously look into it, when summer wheels and coilovers are put on.

I was just gauging in the problem, maybe its like a common issue. We have axle clicking, compressoion rod noises, 3rd brake light going bad.

Last edited by TurTLe*; 05-01-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:09 PM
none taken.

lol, yes I KNOW.

Because i did rear brakes about 1.5 years ago,(not saying they cant wear down that fast) but i can see a good amount of pad life still there, I would go and say 65-75% pad life still there. On both inners and outers because last i check was in the fall when i put on winter wheels. Pads are at the bottom of my list.

However if the calipers are SLIGHTLY dragging then maybe that could be it, but since my pads are not worn, i dont want to suggest that. I'll have some time in the up coming weeks to seriously look into it, when summer wheels and coilovers are put on.

I was just gauging in the problem, maybe its like a common issue. We have axle clicking, compressoion rod noises, 3rd brake light going bad.
Freakin squeaky brakes plague almost all cars at some point or another. it's not a commonality that I know of specific to the G

Ok so if you checked the inner pads and they've got a pile of meat left then I'd say you're into either a misalligned shim or slider, worn out ebrake shoes, or a dust sheild.

How were the ebrake shoes when you did the brakes?

Need to isolate front/rear, or take it apart and inspect closer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Random Little Question Thread