Drivetrain Questions and info regarding transmissions, clutches, etc.

RPM's at 80 MPH

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:39 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
shims are needed to adjust backlash... but you wont be installing yourself so why do you care? In fact, you wouldn't buy just the ring & pinion, you'd only buy the entire pumpkin - so again, why do you care?... Even further, I am nearly positive you aren't even seriously considering this (as it pertains to the conversation I was having with Toll and helping him get a 3.5 FD) so again, why do you care????

I won't even help you get this part Jeff - so there's no point in continuing with your nonsense...

Tollbooth, if you are interested in the gears, diff or entire pumpkin, PM me.
Man, you really are just a pure jerk. Heaven forbid you actually answer a question and offer some insight to others on this site that may have also wanted to know the answer. Now when someone searches for an answer to this question, they'll be led to this dead end. Maybe you should stop posting as I become more and more convinced you don't even know how to turn a wrench. Happy Holidays.

Last edited by DaveB; 12-22-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:54 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Sorry we got this private conversation into this horrible public discussion. Should have done it via PM... In any case, thanks for looking out for me. I just picked up a 3.5 VLSD pumpkin for $300 shipped which is probably about the same price it would have been.

I don't think that installing the gears would be that bad. The difficult portion would be adjusting preload since I'm not sure how that is done and what is involved. It might not even be that difficult I just haven't seen much info on it before. Shims are for adjusting the backlash to make sure the gears have proper contact between the ring and pinion.

I plan to update the thread with my 80 mph rpms when I get my 3.5 FD pumpkin installed.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:57 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^Also update us if you lose cruise control

Old 12-22-2009, 02:18 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
i will update that for sure. I think everyone will lose cruise AT SOME rpm. Stock is 90 mph. 3.5 vs 3.3 is about 5.1% difference in overall acceleration/gearing. My theory is that cruise should still work up til about 85 mph but not past that.

I think the ECU manages cruise based off the rpm & gear you are in.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:21 AM
? = 2B || !2B

^I think that (or something like that) might be true for the 04.5+ but I'm not sure about ours

Old 12-22-2009, 02:39 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Its probably the same...but if there is any discrepancy it could be that earlier models have a "check" based off of the speed and if they don't match the ECU shuts it down.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
Man, you (OC35) really are just a pure jerk. Heaven forbid you actually answer a question and offer some insight to others on this site that may have also wanted to know the answer. Now when someone searches for an answer to this question, they'll be led to this dead end. Maybe you should stop posting as I become more and more convinced you don't even know how to turn a wrench. Happy Holidays.
Now you know why he has a post count of 12,000+. The guy doesn't shut up and practically everything he says has little to do with the actual topic at hand. Just for example, a large portion of those posts has to do with potato chips on a similar derailed thread which was originally discussing Performance Chips.

In your forum control panel, you can select to hide all posts and messages from individual members, so you never see the garbage they post. Otherwords, a nice noise filter. Even works on archived threads.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:57 AM
? = 2B || !2B

^Just for the record, that thread was deleted, and not for OT posts. And OCG35 didn't start the potato chip joke, he only continued it, along with others. And before anyone claim's I'm taking sides, I've had my fair share of arguements with him as well, but it's really not worth getting worked up over.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
for those that cant seem to understand pure common sense - I offered to help Tollbooth obtain a 3.5 FD & vlsd... its that simple.

Everything beyond that was Jeff going on and on about crap that had nothing to do with my post - however, I answered the questions he asked (even though he will never, ever use the info).

a couple of you that get butt hurt when I call you out on crap that you are clueless about (and you know who you are and you know it happens) your comments add less information than the posts of mine that you are referring to (pot calling the kettle black).

Hey Linche - have you cut your MAF wires yet????? Until you do, you have ZERO credibility with me. You are one of the most clueless out here (as has been proven in more than one thread).

Tollbooth - sorry your thread got derailed, there are certain members out here that are way more interested in debating than sharing info... glad you got your 3.5 - I think you'll like it; it's definitely a worthwhile mod (ironically the goofballs that recently derailed the thread don't even have the mod, yet they want to puke all over the topic).

Old 12-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Mike, Mike, Mike. I thought you had nother further to justify? LOL

But I suppose getting information out to others regarding how to properly set up the rear end if people choose to swap in diff gears is too much. And no, we did NOT get definitive information regarding that.

Jeff notes that it's not his questions/replies being questioned here. And Tollbooth has already said he got one.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 12-22-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Mike, Mike, Mike. I thought you had nother further to justify? LOL

But I suppose getting information out to others regarding how to properly set up the rear end if people choose to swap in diff gears is too much. And no, we did NOT get definitive information regarding that.

Jeff notes that it's not his questions/replies being questioned here.
the thread and post had nothing to do with "proper set up" of rear end gears... it had everything to do with letting Toll know I knew a shop that has what he's looking for.

You took it way OT with your typical garbage. Where do you get the idea that I have an obligation to tell you how to set ring & pinion gears? And where do you get the idea that I somehow slighted you or anyone else for not giving you a step by step DIY??? That was never implied by me in the slightest - its just typical BS that you brought on... and guys like DaveB and Liche apparently are too lazy to read the history.

So save you garbage Jeff - you have already made it clear you have nothing to add to the thread...

Old 12-22-2009, 02:25 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Oh lord...

Old 12-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Man, you really are just a pure jerk. Heaven forbid you actually answer a question and offer some insight to others on this site that may have also wanted to know the answer. Now when someone searches for an answer to this question, they'll be led to this dead end. Maybe you should stop posting as I become more and more convinced you don't even know how to turn a wrench. Happy Holidays.
you really need to get off your high-horse and read what transpired... you might be clueless but you cant possibly be illiterate. Read and comprehend before calling people "pure jerk"

Old 12-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nfsp1
^Just for the record, that thread was deleted, and not for OT posts. And OCG35 didn't start the potato chip joke, he only continued it, along with others. And before anyone claim's I'm taking sides, I've had my fair share of arguements with him as well, but it's really not worth getting worked up over.
Thanks for clearing that up. And I agree with you 100%. Anyways, whats his name is permanently in the ignore list, so i no longer can see anything he post anyways.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
the thread and post had nothing to do with "proper set up" of rear end gears... it had everything to do with letting Toll know I knew a shop that has what he's looking for.

You took it way OT with your typical garbage. Where do you get the idea that I have an obligation to tell you how to set ring & pinion gears? And where do you get the idea that I somehow slighted you or anyone else for not giving you a step by step DIY??? That was never implied by me in the slightest - its just typical BS that you brought on... and guys like DaveB and Liche apparently are too lazy to read the history.

So save you garbage Jeff - you have already made it clear you have nothing to add to the thread...
So a thread about swapping ring/pinion + asking how to set up said parts has nothing to do with the proper setup of a rear end? Interesting.

ALL my questions/replies were about ONE thing. How to setup the rear end properly. ALL of them.

It didn't get OT until YOU, yes YOU and no one else went on your tirade about whatever you were talking about.

I was ASKING, you understand that? Asking you if you knew. You didn't and looks like you don't. You know what? That's fine. No problem. But I question giving the other guy advice that "you just need to do this and you'll be fine". Maybe. But if you didn't know, you shouldn't have made that procedure look that easy when it wasn't. There was no obligation demanded, implied or posted. That was the fabrication on YOUR part. Completely on your part.

Then again, the guy has the complete unit and doesn't need it be setup. So why you are going on this illogical temper tantrum is really hilarious.

But the only thing you had to add to this thread was a for sale offer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RPM's at 80 MPH