Notices

Door armrest/Steering wheel "peeling"...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by samsizzle
**UPDATE for the SD guys**

just got back from kearny mesa infiniti, walked in and was directed to one of the service people. Walked into his mini-office. Asked me what was wrong and I said my steering wheel and arm rests were peeling and I had some brake judder issues and I would like to get them replaced under warranty. He said yeah there is a bulletin out for them. We walked out to the car so he could inspect (I still had on my tustin infiniti plates LOL). He noticed the steering wheel column was bending outward and said he would add that to the list too!

what he ordered: new steering wheel and column, door arm rest (the rest were fine but he would have replaced all of them), and brake pads and the rotors will be resurfaced.

I really have to thank this site and the people who went out and confirmed they were doing it, saved me a good amount of money and grief

highly recommend this place. I hope I get a g37 loaner
That's good news for you.
I/we would really like to know what service bulletin they have that covers the peeling finish on our switch bezels and steering wheel. I have never seen it (the TSB) and I frequently check the infinitihelp site.
If you could ask that dealer service tech what the number is and share it with the rest of us it would be appreciated. Sooner than later would be nice, I'm in Monday for my free oil change and I would love to be able to mention it.
Thanks

Old 09-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So would I. I would love to know the TSB #

Old 09-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutland
I tried this once before, but still looking for confirmation, but is this what people are talking about?

Thanks!
Yes, that's it.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:07 PM
thank you

Old 09-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I will post back when I get my invoice back next week and let you know what it says. I dont know if there is a TSB for the peeling or if they are just being nice

regardless, i'll post whatever the invoice says in hopes that you can get them to budge too. Have you guys try calling corporate? I read about a few people who had luck with that. Good luck guys

Old 09-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Samsizzle...that would be great; thank you!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any Canadian Dealers Fixing Peeling Steering Wheel?

I'd love to know if there's a reference I can give the dealer here in Toronto, Canada as they told me it wouldn't be covered after claiming they sent photos to Infiniti's headquarters. Downtown Infiniti in Toronto was useless. My wheel is peeling worse than the posted photos in this thread.

On an unrelated issue, I also have wood trim on the passenger door that started coming unglued near close to the door hinge end. Pretty disappointing - my old 92 tercel never did that after 200,000+kms!

Anyone have any luck with Canadian dealers fixing peeling steering wheel?

Anyone know if you can just replace the soft touch plastic surround rather than the entire wheel? I'd buy the part if they don't cover it.

Thanks!

Old 09-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by samsizzle
**UPDATE for the SD guys**

just got back from kearny mesa infiniti, walked in and was directed to one of the service people. Walked into his mini-office. Asked me what was wrong and I said my steering wheel and arm rests were peeling and I had some brake judder issues and I would like to get them replaced under warranty. He said yeah there is a bulletin out for them. We walked out to the car so he could inspect (I still had on my tustin infiniti plates LOL). He noticed the steering wheel column was bending outward and said he would add that to the list too!

what he ordered: new steering wheel and column, door arm rest (the rest were fine but he would have replaced all of them), and brake pads and the rotors will be resurfaced.

I really have to thank this site and the people who went out and confirmed they were doing it, saved me a good amount of money and grief

highly recommend this place. I hope I get a g37 loaner
Good to hear, did they give you an estimated time when all the parts will be in? I'm still waiting for my parts to come...

Old 09-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by jtebb
I'd love to know if there's a reference I can give the dealer here in Toronto, Canada as they told me it wouldn't be covered after claiming they sent photos to Infiniti's headquarters. Downtown Infiniti in Toronto was useless. My wheel is peeling worse than the posted photos in this thread.

On an unrelated issue, I also have wood trim on the passenger door that started coming unglued near close to the door hinge end. Pretty disappointing - my old 92 tercel never did that after 200,000+kms!

Anyone have any luck with Canadian dealers fixing peeling steering wheel?

Anyone know if you can just replace the soft touch plastic surround rather than the entire wheel? I'd buy the part if they don't cover it.

Thanks!
The dealership in Guelph is looking at mine Monday.
For the door parts go HERE. There are a few other places too.
The steering wheel costs a small fortune though.

Edit: they (Guelph Infiniti) already replaced my steering wheel and column for an unrelated issue. Mine doesn't peel at all. My doors have a little peeling now though.
I see you have wood trim. Is that factory?

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 09-10-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
The dealership in Guelph is looking at mine Monday.
For the door parts go HERE. There are a few other places too.
The steering wheel costs a small fortune though.

Edit: they (Guelph Infiniti) already replaced my steering wheel and column for an unrelated issue. Mine doesn't peel at all. My doors have a little peeling now though.
I see you have wood trim. Is that factory?
Thanks for the info. Wow... the wheel is North of $800. I'll live with the scratches at that price.

Yes, the rosewood trim is factory. Was that not an option when you bought your car? (I got mine in Buffalo and imported it when the CDN dollar was at 1.10 USD. Maybe it was only an American option?) Anyhow, I didn't like the way the "rice paper" aluminum looked, plus, funny enough, I thought it would scratch easier!

I am also experiencing some brake judder that vibrates the wheel and column. I wonder if that fix replaces the column and wheel. I was looking at infinitihelp.com and found a service bulletin regarding that issue. Maybe they will be more likely to also fix trim, etc. if they are getting more work from other issues. Who knows... please post and let me know if Guelph Infiniti considers the scratches a warranty issue.

Thanks again!

BTW, how do you like the Z springs? Any bad side effects? I've been too scared to lower with the awd.

Last edited by jtebb; 09-10-2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: forgot something...
Old 09-10-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by jtebb
Thanks for the info. Wow... the wheel is North of $800. I'll live with the scratches at that price.

Yes, the rosewood trim is factory. Was that not an option when you bought your car? (I got mine in Buffalo and imported it when the CDN dollar was at 1.10 USD. Maybe it was only an American option?) Anyhow, I didn't like the way the "rice paper" aluminum looked, plus, funny enough, I thought it would scratch easier!

I am also experiencing some brake judder that vibrates the wheel and column. I wonder if that fix replaces the column and wheel. I was looking at infinitihelp.com and found a service bulletin regarding that issue. Maybe they will be more likely to also fix trim, etc. if they are getting more work from other issues. Who knows... please post and let me know if Guelph Infiniti considers the scratches a warranty issue.

Thanks again!

BTW, how do you like the Z springs? Any bad side effects? I've been too scared to lower with the awd.
For the brake judder they only turn the front rotors. No steering wheel replacement.
The springs have been great. Tiny bit of camber up front but close to spec. Did front grille too. The Dupli-color way. Don't take grille off and the black can be peeled off when I don't want it any more.
See here...https://g35driver.com/forums/canada/...new-smile.html

Old 09-11-2010, 03:32 AM
Originally Posted by ofna
Good to hear, did they give you an estimated time when all the parts will be in? I'm still waiting for my parts to come...
he just said sometime next week I would receive a call when they get them in. I cant wait! whenever I get in the car I just stare at the steering wheel wondering how the new one will feel

Old 09-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
For the brake judder they only turn the front rotors. No steering wheel replacement.
The springs have been great. Tiny bit of camber up front but close to spec. Did front grille too. The Dupli-color way. Don't take grille off and the black can be peeled off when I don't want it any more.
See here...https://g35driver.com/forums/canada/...new-smile.html
For my brake judder they did new rotors, pads, and added the "backing plate"

Old 09-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Well I got back from getting my oil changed at the dealership (Guelph Infiniti). They took one look at my interior door trim (bezel) and politely put the blame on me. They said it must be my fault, "from your ring or something". I was firm that it was not from my ring. I said how would my wedding ring come in contact with the front inside part of the cup area. " I don't know" she says. I also said my children dont where rings and look at the back. I tried to make the point that the finish should not come off so easy...period.
After establishing that I still enjoy the car very much I went on a polite little rant about the quality of different finishing materials that Infiniti is using from the front grille, to paint/clear coat and now the interior. I also noted that there was a change in the interior bezel paint after 2007 and hinted as to why that is. They where unaware that Infiniti changed the interior paint.
They apologized and said they are sorry I am unhappy with these things but there is nothing they can do about it.

So before I left the salesman that I dealt with 3 years ago said he can get me into a 2011 G37x with Prem and Tech for the same monthly payment I currently have. He came up with the numbers pretty quick so my thought is he can go lower. I am staying where I am. I just hit 50,000km She's still new, lol

Old 09-13-2010, 11:33 PM
^^thats BS man, they should replace it. Im not sure if our dealerships did it out of courtesy but maybe you should try a different one?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Door armrest/Steering wheel "peeling"...